Kegged Beer Still Tastes Green

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanceBoyle

Reaction score
I made an all-grain IPA last month, the OG was 1.059 and the FG after 10 days was 1.014 and I racked the beer into a keg. I've made this recipe several times. I used 1.8 packs of US05 dry yeast (Mr Malty called for 1.4 11g packs but I accidentally overpitched a little.) I had a little beer left over in the fermenter so I bottled it in a 12 oz bottle and used 1 carbonation drop as a primer. Now, it's been a month and my kegged beer has a weird green, maybe yeasty taste. But, I opened the bottle conditioned version of the same beer and it tastes just fine. So will the kegged beer eventually be OK? Should I take the keg out of the keezer and let it sit at room temperature for 30 days or so? Any other suggestions appreciated.

I'd pull it out and let it sit warm for a couple weeks, I don't know if you need 30 days. You're seeing a prime example, that a lot of folks don't seem to grasp, beer needs to condition regardless of whether it's in keg or in the bottle. A lot of new keggers think kegging means you can drink sooner.....but that's ONLY if the beer doesn't need to condition.

It takes longer for a keg to clear out simply due to how tall the column of beer is. The other difference is that you end up decanting a bottled beer while the keg serves from the area of greatest yeast concentration right until it flocs out really compact.

10 days is a pretty short time anyway. It probably went into the keg well before it was clear. Warm or cold, the keg is going to take a while to clear and then when that happens, you'll have to blow out a couple pints to clear the sediment away from the diptube.

If the bottle is okay then your keg is probably infected

Why would you assume that?

More than likely the bottles conditioned faster than the keg did, it's a smaller volume to condition afterall. A keg will take longer to do the same thing. Like Bobby M said, 10 days makes for pretty green, yeasty beer.

OK, I'm taking the keg out of the keezer for two weeks and see if that helps. It could be infected as well from my beer lines, I didn't clean them for a while. They should be OK but, who knows. The other keg is OK.

I had a beer that I thought had a really funky taste and could not figure out what went wrong. Finally figured it was the lines, replaced them and the beer tasted great! I couldn't believe how much flavor the old lines were giving off, I couldn't even finish a pint. Now I clean my lines every couple weeks or so...

Back