Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mail's here!

IMG_20151204_122923762_HDR.jpg

I do very much like the shape and size. Bulldogs too. Prefer bent but won't turn down a straight.

I've found I was pretty abusive to my early pipes (smoking too hot) especially at break-in. Trying to take it very easy on this one.

Hardest part for me transitioning to pipe exclusivity was breaking the inhale habit. I still do it occasionally but I've finally learned to just enjoy the flavors. Once in a while I still get a decent wobble from a nicotine buzz.

My pipes are pretty ugly. I certainly need to learn to be more "refined."

Have you ever smoked Peterson's University Flake?? It has a nice, but light. dark fruit flavour to it and the nic hit is just insane. I don't inhale and the first time that I smoked that stuff, I had to lay down for a bit afterwards.

I saw a mention of Blue Note tobacco a page or so back. This has been the year of Blue Note for me. When I got the tin I was disgusted by the fruitcake aroma coming from it. Even now I have a hard time with it. But, wow, the smoke is just wonderful. I really love the variety of flavours I get from it. BN is by far my favourite aromatic. Lately, though it has been the Bald Headed Teacher from 4noggins that is getting me excited.

I read somewhere that November was the International Corn Cob Pipe Month, so I decided to only smoke my Missouri Meerschaum legend for the entire month. It has been a long time since I smoked only one pipe day in and day out. While I really do enjoy my MM pipes, I've been glad to get back to my briars. Variety is indeed the spice of life.

Went to walk the dog tonight along with a pipe. Been a long time since I experienced a buzz like that! CS Lewis used to go on walking vacations with his brother. Smoking pipes and having pipes. Sola Deo Gloria!!!!

I saw a mention of Blue Note tobacco a page or so back. This has been the year of Blue Note for me. When I got the tin I was disgusted by the fruitcake aroma coming from it. Even now I have a hard time with it. But, wow, the smoke is just wonderful. I really love the variety of flavours I get from it. BN is by far my favourite aromatic. Lately, though it has been the Bald Headed Teacher from 4noggins that is getting me excited.

I read somewhere that November was the International Corn Cob Pipe Month, so I decided to only smoke my Missouri Meerschaum legend for the entire month. It has been a long time since I smoked only one pipe day in and day out. While I really do enjoy my MM pipes, I've been glad to get back to my briars. Variety is indeed the spice of life.

I do enjoy the Dan/Torben Dansk blends. Blue Note, and DaVinci have been go to products for me. I recently also tried Milonga and was really impressed.

I've also picked up some McLelland Vanilla Black Cavendish and really enjoy it too.

Hardest part for me transitioning to pipe exclusivity was breaking the inhale habit.

This is hard for me right now. I was using it as a tool to help me completely kick cigarettes, which is absolutely helping and I don't smell like an ashtray. However, I'll still inhale every 4th or 5th puff. I'm sure it's horrible but it is a work in progress. I bummed a smoke off a buddy over the weekend due to some bad news, it was disgusting. So. We're getting there.

Still can't decide which pipe to get, but pretty sure I'm going with the Bjarne Viking sandblast. Will order today or tomorrow as I'm all out of tobacco and may go into a withdrawn rage if anything gets out of hand around here.

Pipe smoking is alot like cw or morse code operators of past.
Lots of people still use it.... just never gets talked about...
Lost Art is right

myself i still burn in a savinelli and Butz choquin from time to time

Gila, I know you mentioned having a house blend of all the different tobaccos for which you haven't cared. Just curious if you have ever considered pressing them to better marry the flavors. What started me wondering on this is a thread I ran across on Badger & Blade regarding a simple homemade tobacco press. Interesting concept.

Gila, I know you mentioned having a house blend of all the different tobaccos for which you haven't cared. Just curious if you have ever considered pressing them to better marry the flavors. What started me wondering on this is a thread I ran across on Badger & Blade regarding a simple homemade tobacco press. Interesting concept.

I do vacuum seal a portion for just this reason. I kind of like how it changes. sometimes it's perfect, others not so much. The addition of that S&G gave it a sort of dusty, powdery feeling smoke. It's a bit odd really. But there is a hint of virginia sweetness and cavendish aroma behind it.

I actually have a nice hunk of square steel tube and a large c-clamp gathered up to make a press. I still need to figure what to use for the end pieces and get those fitted. I know someone who uses the same thing and orders leaf to make their own flakes which I have had the pleasure of trying. Would be fun to press some different stuff together, I just need to get off my arse.

I actually have a nice hunk of square steel tube and a large c-clamp gathered up to make a press. I still need to figure what to use for the end pieces and get those fitted. I know someone who uses the same thing and orders leaf to make their own flakes which I have had the pleasure of trying. Would be fun to press some different stuff together, I just need to get off my arse.

Just use two pieces of wood cut to fit. Line with a nonstick layer, and get to pressing!

Just use two pieces of wood cut to fit. Line with a nonstick layer, and get to pressing!

Definitely thought of that. My tool situation is less than ideal at the moment, but I am wanting to get this press going sooner than later. I have a buddy in Texas that grows a ton of tobacco so getting leaf to run through the press is no issue

I officially ran out of tobacco and it's killing me. Just can't bring myself to place an order with so much xmas shopping to do. Considering going into the city and stopping at the smoke shop to see what they might have to offer.

I officially ran out of tobacco and it's killing me. Just can't bring myself to place an order with so much xmas shopping to do. Considering going into the city and stopping at the smoke shop to see what they might have to offer.

Don't hesitate to look at the bulk tobaccos too (usually in jars). You can generally get two to three times as much tobacco for the price of a tin. It's a great option for a staple blend or for buying multiple 1 oz samples for trying out.

Don't hesitate to look at the bulk tobaccos too (usually in jars). You can generally get two to three times as much tobacco for the price of a tin. It's a great option for a staple blend or for buying multiple 1 oz samples for trying out.

My buddy gets that at the shop. Last time I was there (5 years ago?) they had a wall of jars, but I only smoked cigars so it meant nothing. The shop is just a pain in the ass for me to get to now as it's in the middle of the city. Might be a good day to drive around town at least.

My buddy gets that at the shop. Last time I was there (5 years ago?) they had a wall of jars, but I only smoked cigars so it meant nothing. The shop is just a pain in the ass for me to get to now as it's in the middle of the city. Might be a good day to drive around town at least.

Oh I get it.

It's a PITA for me to get to the shop because none of them really cater to pipe smokers here. They all have a few tins and a few jars of bulk. But it sucks getting to one only to find they have nothing that interests you.

Long gone are the fully stocked pipe smoker shops around here.

That's a shame. I need to see if I can find one a little closer, though the one I'm referring to is likely the best around.

Meh, I can honestly say it's been years since I last came across someone smoking a pipe. I'm sure they are out there because stores are still stocking for it.

Even when I am smoking, I get walk by comments a lot. "Man, I haven't seen a pipe in years!" is only slightly more common than "That pipe smells amazing!"

Even when I am smoking, I get walk by comments a lot. "Man, I haven't seen a pipe in years!" is only slightly more common than "That pipe smells amazing!"

That really is one of the biggest draws for me. I hated smoking in public. If a family or kid ever walked by and I had a cigarette, I'd pinch it off and hold my breathe until they were long gone. The pipe is a lot less intrusive, I'll just cover it with my hand or stick it in my pocket... and it smells nice.

Man every time I post something about pipe smoking it gets moderated or deleted for some reason…

I ordered the pipe carving kit from Man Crates. it should be here tomorrow.

Nice! :mug:

My bench buffer arrived, but I've been so busy with other things that my pipe is still at the 220 grit stage. I plan to give it a coat or two of dark stain this weekend and then keep sanding.

Nice! :mug:

My bench buffer arrived, but I've been so busy with other things that my pipe is still at the 220 grit stage. I plan to give it a coat or two of dark stain this weekend and then keep sanding.

I think I'm gonna go freehand on this one. next drilled block of briar might get to be a Poker though.:rockin:

Back