Any Midnight brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartp

Reaction score
Are there any brewers here that prefer to brew late at night, or am I the only weird one?

I love to brew at night. For whatever reason my brew schedule is usually thursday night. I'll hit up a LHBS on my way from work, pick up supplies. Spend some time with the wife, eat dinner, clean up and then get my stuff ready and start brewing around 8PM. It's my favorite time to brew, the wife goes to bed or just chills and watches TV, the dogs are too tired to do anything. I'll put up some Three Sheets or Brewing TV on the tube, and fire up my kettle. Its my most peaceful time of the day (night) and I really get to concentrate on my beer. I usually have everything cleaned up and put back by 2 - 2:30 am and I go to bed full of satisfaction. I still wake up in the morning to go to work but I'm more than fine.

I guess Thursday nights work for me because its the least likely time that I would have anything conflicting scheduled. and so I can brew on very consistant basis. Plus I dont really like to brew on weekend because there's always a project to be done around the house or a plan.

So who's with me?
Midnight Brewers Unite!

man, that sounds beautiful. I used to be a midnight brewer also, and loved it....until i moved in with the girlfriend. She's not a fan of brewing :eek:

....so i sneak my brews in while she's gone :ban:

I've been up brewing until 3am on many occassions. Nothing wrong with a little late night/early morning brewing. :rockin:

I brew at night after the kids go to bed. I named my last beer after hours ESB because it was brewed late at night. I don't know how well it would work with all grain.

Lol thats how I got started... I was working graves...My first midnight brew I Spilled 2 Gallons of Lemon-Honey Hefe on my black lab...(it Had Cooled ) she hangs w/ me every brew day... she's totally my brew Girl

I miss those Nights !!!!

Cheers to you !!!!

Yep, I'll brew after work, chill 17 gallons to 100 degrees, then drain into 3 bucket fermenters and put in the Fermenteezer to finish chilling overnight. In the morning, I oxygenate and pitch the yeast.

The last two batches have been both bottling days and brew days, so I've been up to about 2. I wouldn't say I prefer it, it's just worked out that way, and I'm up that late on weekends anyway.

That said, I'm done bottling one batch and brewing another on the same day. That's bollocks.

Hell yeah. Although I also enjoy weekend brewing, I can usually only brew after work. By the time I go to the LHBS, eat and shoot the **** with my girlfriend it's at least 8 when I get started. I BIAB 2.5 gallon batches on the stovetop though, so I'm sometime finished by midnight...does that count?

I read this article awhile back (I'll have to see if I can look it up) but this guy basically makes his mash the night before and lets it sit overnight. I tried it twice and it really breaks up the brew day nicely.
Before everyone jumps on me for not mashing right, the beer turned out great wasn't dry or too sweet (like you would think would happen) and I hit my OG almost exactly in both cases.

Jwood said:
man, that sounds beautiful. I used to be a midnight brewer also, and loved it....until i moved in with the girlfriend. She's not a fan of brewing :eek:

....so i sneak my brews in while she's gone :ban:

Time to man up. If you have to sneak things now, it will only get worse.

screw that. i did it once, lol. never again. actually, that was my first AG brewday. started about 8pm. got done around 1am.

Almost every batch has been finished after midnight. It's about the only time I can find a few solid hours without interruption.

I have a weird schedule abd brew when ever I get a chance. My
wheat is conditioning, and I am already to brew again.

I've always brewed on sunday mornings which usually works out nice. The local radio has a good sunday morning program and/or I can listen to the game while relaxing with beer in hand and all but I definitely like the idea of doing a "twilight" session.
Maybe I'll try my next one on a friday night:mug:

With two young kids, I am definitely in the midnight brewer camp. Mash in after they go to bed, and sometimes don't finish until 1AM (one time it was closer to 2AM :cross:). I sort of like it...it's my *me* time without interruption (I usually brew nights when my wife goes out with her girlfriends) so I turn on some music I like, and focus on brewing. I can only guess what my neighbors think I'm doing (the ones who don't know that I homebrew).

I can't even remember the last time I brewed during the day time!

What jponder said. I've got two preschool kids, a busy job, and a wife in teacher training every other weekend. There's near zero chance of getting a solid brew session done with the kids about, so I brew at night.

I'm a fairly new brewer, and every brew bar the first one has been in the evening, I think. I get my gear cleaned & setup during the day, get my water heating up on the stove while doing the bedtime routine, then move the pot out to my bayoux burner outside once they're in bed. It's the way I like it - peace & quiet, me & the brew kettle. And a homebrew of course.

I'll be doing a quick extract 70 Shilling tonight in fact.

I don't have a regular work schedule, so there have been many times that I have started brewing around 2am finishing up around the time the sun is rising.

Just started heating water. it's 6:40pm here now, guess I'll be finished cleaning around midnight!

I've never brewed that late but I have had bottling go late. My kids mean the best but sloooooow down the bottling process.

Well they are 8 and 2 so I hope not. Although maybe the trub is not to blame for the loss of a couple of beers after all

With two young kids, I am definitely in the midnight brewer camp. Mash in after they go to bed, and sometimes don't finish until 1AM (one time it was closer to 2AM :cross:). I sort of like it...it's my *me* time without interruption (I usually brew nights when my wife goes out with her girlfriends) so I turn on some music I like, and focus on brewing. I can only guess what my neighbors think I'm doing (the ones who don't know that I homebrew).

I can't even remember the last time I brewed during the day time!

This.

And x2 on the neighbors, mine think i'm running a meth lab.

With my little guy due in Feb, I've been training myself for late night, weeknight brewing. I usually get everything together the night before. I like Thursday night because I only have to make it through Friday and then I can catch up on the lost sleep. I can always find a hockey game to watch and have a couple beers. It's nice!

With my little guy due in Feb, I've been training myself for late night, weeknight brewing. I usually get everything together the night before. I like Thursday night because I only have to make it through Friday and then I can catch up on the lost sleep. I can always find a hockey game to watch and have a couple beers. It's nice!

Congrats! My little girl is due 3/1

Before they changed my hours at work, I used to brew on weeknights. SWMBO works evenings and prefers to be out of the house when I'm brewing anyway. It worked out well. I'd start at 7:00 and get done around midnight.

Love midnite brewing!! I can just piddle in the basement and get absolutely nothing accomplished. I will bring my 2 kids down there about 8 or 9 and in about an hour they are ready for bed then i can turn on the radio and space out some more. Usually wrap up around 2 or so

In the summer, day time temps here make brewing a sweaty affair. I love to put a pot of coffee on at about 11pm and fire up the burner to get my mash water ready. Summer nights are so relaxing, and by the time I'm finished cleaning up, the sun is starting to break the horizon. Good times...

I use to brew at night. I work the overnight so I am use to being up at that time. while I was doing extract with steeping, but since switching to all-grain I try to wait until saturday morning.

I brew at night only because by the time I get everything organized it's 5PM and then it's dark by 6 now. I enjoy doing it most on Monday night because I can bring my laptop outside and watch MNF while I'm boiling. Hoping my starter is ready so I can get one in tomorrow night.

Back