Bottling with Soured Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffStewart

Reaction score
So for the last batch I left a portion of wort out and added crystal malt to it in order to encourage the growth of lactic acid off the grains. I plan on boiling this and adding this to the finished beer before bottling. My question is, will this soured wort affect how much priming sugar I need to add? If so, what's a good way to figure out how much sugar I need with the soured wort to hit a desired CO2 volume (I'm aiming for 2.0)?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on if its fermented out.

Personally I would boil and cool the sour wort, add it to the finished beer and let the wort ferment out. Prime and bottle after the beer has settled out again.

So I should boil and add to primary (don't have a secondary)? In that case, how long should I wait after adding it? A week? And then, how do I limit oxygenation when adding?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff,

When you boil the wort, it will drive off the oxygen. When you cool it, do your best not to stir the wort as it cools so you don't pick up much oxygen.

Depending on the volume of wort, I doubt it would take more than 2-3 days to finish out. If the wort has soured for a few days, there might not be much left for the yeast to eat.

Back