Another new one to the board

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iguana

Reaction score
Started brewing about 5 years ago but i'm still pretty green when it comes to brewing. my last batch was a year and a half ago but i have a new one ready to cook up....hopefully tomorrow. :drunk:

Well, i decide to brew last nite. All went well except one thing. i hooked up the wort chiller and after a couple seconds, my inlet hose came off of the coil and water went everywhere. lol. luckily, i was outside. hopefully not too much water got in the wort. i got the tube hooked back up and turned on the water a little lower.

btw, isnt the vent supposed to be bubbling? i checked it this morning and it wasnt bubbling. I've noticed that with most of the beer I've made so far. maybe my bucket isnt completely sealed?

If you are getting foam building up on top of the wort, it is fermenting and producing gas. If this is happening, but no bubbles through the water in the airlock, then I would say you are correct that your bucket is not sealed tightly.

-walker

Walker said:
If you are getting foam building up on top of the wort, it is fermenting and producing gas. If this is happening, but no bubbles through the water in the airlock, then I would say you are correct that your bucket is not sealed tightly.

-walker

Thanks, walker, i'll check it out.

My other batches always turned out good and I got a good buzz from them so it's probably just the bucket. maybe it's time to get a carboy. lol

Iguana said:
maybe it's time to get a carboy. lol

you will thank yourself for doing this.

To really see the difference, brew a double batch. Use the EXACT same recipe, but put one in the bucket and one in the carboy. Ferment, bottle, wait.

Take a blind taste-test when the beer is ready. My friends and I did this in 1998 (after brewing three batches with just the bucket) and 4 out of 5 liked the glass fermented beer better. The 5th guy was drunk at the time of the test, and really couldn't tell any difference between the two, so he 'just picked one'.

-walker

Walker said:
you will thank yourself for doing this.

To really see the difference, brew a double batch. Use the EXACT same recipe, but put one in the bucket and one in the carboy. Ferment, bottle, wait.

Take a blind taste-test when the beer is ready. My friends and I did this in 1998 (after brewing three batches with just the bucket) and 4 out of 5 liked the glass fermented beer better. The 5th guy was drunk at the time of the test, and really couldn't tell any difference between the two, so he 'just picked one'.

-walker

LMFAO. :drunk:

I think i saw the LHB store had one for $22. I'll have to check it out again this weekend. I was going to get one for a secondary fermenter anyways. I guess i could get 2.

If you go all-glass, you should get a 6.5 gallon carboy for the primary and a 5 gallon for the secondary. (You want a lot of headspace in the primary so the krauesen can build-up on the surface without shooting through the airlock.)

Your bucket will still be of valuable use. I use mine for cooling the wort (I add near freezing water to the hot wort in the bucket), and then I just use the spigot to transfer to the 6.5 gal carboy so I get a lot of splashing and aeration.

The bucket is used again at bottling time (rack from 5 gallon back into bucket) so that I can use the spigot with the bottling wand attached.

-walker

Iguana said:
LMFAO. :drunk:

I think i saw the LHB store had one for $22. I'll have to check it out again this weekend. I was going to get one for a secondary fermenter anyways. I guess i could get 2.
It begins oh so innocently... :D

Walker said:
If you go all-glass, you should get a 6.5 gallon carboy for the primary and a 5 gallon for the secondary. (You want a lot of headspace in the primary so the krauesen can build-up on the surface without shooting through the airlock.)

Your bucket will still be of valuable use. I use mine for cooling the wort (I add near freezing water to the hot wort in the bucket), and then I just use the spigot to transfer to the 6.5 gal carboy so I get a lot of splashing and aeration.

The bucket is used again at bottling time (rack from 5 gallon back into bucket) so that I can use the spigot with the bottling wand attached.

-walker

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to try that. maybe i'll pick up another batch of brew to make this weekend too. I'm still using the premade boxes cause i want to get my head back in to it. I found myself trying to remember all the crap last nite. lol.

LupusUmbrus said:
It begins oh so innocently... :D

LOL....i know. When we buy our next house, i told my wife it has to be a 3 car garage so i can set up a brewing spot. lol.

Welcome back Iguana. I agree with Walker about not being sealed. Just went through this myself. A lot of folks on this forum helped with a lot of info. This place is great, isn't it!?!?!?

Just check my brew this morning and although there isnt much action going on in the airlock, there is a bunch of foam on the top. so i guess my bucket isnt sealed. I'll have to go get a carboy this weekend to do the secondary with.

and yes, this place rocks! ;)

Back