Installing 30A service questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHP

Reaction score
OK,

So I am planning my electric brewery, and the place I like to brew is my back yard. In order to avoid giving this up, I will need to run 30A service from my panel (in my garage) through my attic to the back of my house. I am pretty sure I can get away with a 40' or less run (I can't measure it, because I'm currently deployed to Iraq).

I can use 10/4 cord as far as I can tell, It will also need a fairly high temperature rating I believe because it will be run through my uninsulated attic and I live in Texas, so it probably gets 115-120f up there in the summer time (honestly a guess).

What kind of insulated cord do I need to get? I am trying to get the bare minimum that will meet code and not burn my house down (I happen to like my house).

What kind of enclosure will I need to get for the outlet? I am planning on using a NEMA L14-30 outlet (because I already have one). What is the best way to mount it to my brick siding?

Where is the best place to buy this stuff? stayonline.com has 300V 105c SJT cord for $1.60/ft and SOOW cord (for the power cord to my brewery) for $2 a foot. Is that the best I can do? Also I dont know where to get the enclosure for the outlet, help there?

You shouldn't run SJ cord through the attic but rather Romex if it's allowed in your state. You'll want a weatherproof box on the house and then you can use SJ cord between that and your rig.

I had a feeling romex would be the answer for the wiring question. Does 10/3 only have three wires, or is it three insulated wires WITH an additional ground wire (making it four total).

I understand the concepts of house wiring, but my practical experience is extremely limited.

Back