Should I dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9am53

Reaction score
I made my first batch last night, I used a Morgans Canadian Blond kit, and used 1 kg DME and a level cup of Dex, OG was 1.044. Boiled the dry stuff, added the can, and topped up with cool water. I proofed my yeast, but it was dead (kit is slightly expired) so I added another packette (a random coopers packette I found). The thing is though, the kit says to ferment at temps 71-86 degrees. Since it is my first time around I wasn't sure what to set my heater too (it's in the basement which is cold). THis morning I wake up and of course run downstairs like a kid on Xmas morning, and sure enough the yeast are munching away, BUT the temp is at 84 degrees! THis is what the kit called for, but I am using a different yeast, so I presume this is way too warm. I turned the heater down, but am worried that the beer will be undrinkable. Should I just dump it and do another batch with a lower temp now that I have a grasp on the heater?

Don't dump. You will have some off flavors from such a high fermentation but it will be drinkable beer and a good lesson learned. Correct what you can correct now and let the chips fall where they may.

RDWHAHB!!! It is fine. The yeast from the first pack aren't dead. They may take a little longer to start munching, but if they started the next morning, they are fine. I would turn down the heater, and leave it alone. Trust me, it's fine.

Don't dump it. I have a pilsner in keg right now that I considered dumping because it had off flavors. They have mellowed over time and now the BMC crowd loves it. It's worth keeping it for up to a year IMHO. After that if I couldn't drink it I'd cut bait.

That temp from just overnight should not hurt it very much. Adjust the temp as soon as you can, and get it back down to around 70*. It will be just fine. Just make sure you take good notes now, so if it really turns out great, you'll know what to do next time.

Everyone seems to assume you are going to have off flavors. It's been in the primary for less then 24 hours! It will be fine, and probably very drinkable, if not great! You are with-in range of that strand of yeast, even though it is on the top end. Give the beer at least 3 weeks in primary, then bottle and wait another month. I think you will be very satisfied with the results.

cool. I was just worried because the original yeast seemed to be dead, and the second pack of yeast is the one that was lively, so I thought the high temp would be way outside the yeast that is actually doing the work. I am going to leave it in primary for a couple weeks, and rack into secondary for another week or 2, then keg. Hopefully that will give enough time to mellow out any funky stuff.

NEVER dump it until its all done......and if you can't even drink, still dont dump it.....its beer, and better yet, YOUR beer......

learn from your mistakes, and go from there.........

if it is really that undrinkable, then get creative and make a still, errrrr i mean......nevermind......ha

hope it turns out ok for you!

Why dump it now? If its disgusting after bottling or kegging, then dump it. I've made some serious mistakes, and I've never dumped any beer

ok, I won't dump. I just thought maybe it was for sure going to be gross and didn't want to wait for this to finish, then secondary and then a month later realize I should have dumped it. Worst case scenario I drink it myself and not share with anybody :)

Back