Blichmann Top Tier Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighand

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received my Blichmann Top Tier sculpture this week and spend yesterday setting it up. Attached are some pictures of how I set it up and my other equipment.

100_3712.jpg
My setup of the Top Tier

100_3713.jpg
40 plate chiller from KegCowbow and my March pump

100_3714.jpg
Mash Tun with a false bottom and dip tube from Jaybird

100_3715.jpg
Stainless Mash Paddle from Jaybird

Fatguy-littlecoat, you are going to love it!!! I broke mine in a couple of weeks ago and it worked perfectly. I'm planning my second brew on it on Sunday. I'll post some pics of it in action.

I loved the top tier setup but didn't want to spend 700. So I built this instead...very jealous though.

ForumRunner_20110806_230750.jpg

K, trying to rotate 90. I'm fairly certain no matter the orientation of the pic my phone will always post it sideways...

ForumRunner_20110806_231109.jpg

bighand, how do you like the false bottom in your keggle as a mash tun. I was thinking of ordering one from jaybird. Currently I am using a cooler but want to go to stainless MLT.

Sorry, I stopped getting emails when there were new posts on this thread. (not sure how to fix that) In case you're still wondering, I love jaybird's false bottom. I brewed a Barleywine with 35 pounds of grain and it held up great!

bighand, how do you like the false bottom in your keggle as a mash tun. I was thinking of ordering one from jaybird. Currently I am using a cooler but want to go to stainless MLT.

I like it. I am a big fan of basic analog gravity systems.

The stand itself really let me customize it alot. I have already changed it around a few times. I customized my own kettles and I really wanted large diameter false bottoms in mash tun and kettle. I also put gauges on all parts of the process. The gauge on HLT is the out side of a HERM coil that doubles as an immersion chiller. I just move the lid from the HLT to the Kettle. The whole thing has cam lock quick connects.

The little pot on the bottom is on a 220V, 3500 watt induction heater where I do decoctions and heat-sanitize tubing and hardware. I can also use it as a grant and heat faster than the HERMS.

Sweet setup. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a Top-Tier setup versus building a single-tier system. My only concern and hesitation with the top-tier set-up is that it might become top heavy and come crashing down during the boil. I plan to do 10 gallon batches with a full 20 gallon mash tun, when brewing barely wines and belgians strong ales.

Bighand - In you're experience using the Top-Tier setup have you had any concerns or issue with the setup tipping over or becoming off balanced? Do you recommend the top tier setup? Thanks.

Bighand - In you're experience using the Top-Tier setup have you had any concerns or issue with the setup tipping over or becoming off balanced? Do you recommend the top tier setup? Thanks.

I have never had any concerns with tipping, the top tier is solid as a rock when brewing. The installation instructions detail setups that work and are balanced. I think as long as you don't have two burners set up at the top of the post you are good to go.

I would absolutely recommend the top tier. I have loved having the ability to move things around and tweak my setup from time to time. Right now I have it set up as a gravity feed from my HLT and a pump for my MLT to the BK. I used to have it set up as a single tier with pumps for both the HLT to MLT and the MLT to the BK. I love the flexibility. Plus the burners are awesome and are very quiet.

Sweet setup. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a Top-Tier setup versus building a single-tier system. My only concern and hesitation with the top-tier set-up is that it might become top heavy and come crashing down during the boil. I plan to do 10 gallon batches with a full 20 gallon mash tun, when brewing barely wines and belgians strong ales.

Bighand is correct. The Top Tier is rock solid. Look at the pictures of my system on page 2. My HLT, Mash Tun and Kettle are all 20 gallon pots.

The good thing about Blichmann stuff is that they are designed/engineered well.

Back