bulk extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIONS_FAN2539

Reaction score
my lhb sells pails of exrtact from barrels. munton label on them. bought 6 gallons to give it a try. anybody else use this ? or am i so new im just findin this out .

Yup, you're new. :D Many a brewer here that uses Muntons extract. Many LHBS places have barrels of extract and can sell you whatever quantity you want.

is it the preferred choice of the experienced users. is it quality worthy? the cost is a serious saving. if im just starting out is it the way to go? im just makin beer and tweekin to my taste and callin it my recipe

Yes, getting it in bulk is the way to go, as long as they have a fairly good turnover so that it's fresh. It is cheaper, and usually fresher.

Lorena

My LHBS has the same setup. He seems to sell mostly light LME, so that's what I buy from him in bulk form. I suplement with light DME if I'm trying to get lighter beer, and use specialty grains to get more color if that's what I'm looking for.

Cheaper than DME, I can't use 55# in a reasonable time (I'm picturing a large malt brick in the storage bin ;) ) and more reliable than the cans that have been on the shelf since 'who knows when.'

The LHBS seems to have a good turnover, so I'm not worried about the freshness.

I'm also not that worried about color, as I usually want to brew bigger beers anyway! :mug:

homebrewer_99 said:
Not one clump in over 300 lbs. Double bagged and in a cardboard box.:D

Hmmmm.... tempting.... I only use extra-light anyway, and color with grains.

Now... can I get it past SWMBO? How big is the box it stores in?

butler1850 said:
Hmmmm.... tempting.... I only use extra-light anyway, and color with grains.

Now... can I get it past SWMBO? How big is the box it stores in?
The size of the box is jmust over the size of a milk crate.

Brewing with XL DME and adding grains to darken is the way to go IMO.:D

Latest posts

Back