Grain Mill Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk1012

Reaction score
Is this a compareable mill to the Discount Tommy's mill? I know about the pros and cons about a corona style mill, just wondering if anyone has expierence with it. May need a Google search with this, 36-3601-W these are the part numbers that will take you to it. I'm looking to mill 20lbs or less per month with a drill attachment, please tell me if I will be throwing away money. I don't want to drop WELL over $150 to crush grains on a roller, just looking to test the waters of all grain. Thank you for your responses.

Well over 150 150 will get you a barley crush Crankenstein and a Monster mill provided you already have a drill

if you're just wanting to try AG brewing, you don't have to mill your own grains. you can just buy recipe kits that are already milled. since there is no LHBS in mississippi (the nearest one is 3hrs away in new orleans) and i only brew about once a month, i just order pre-milled recipe kits from austin homebrew and the crush on them seems to be just fine.

+1 to the earlier post. If you just want to test the waters of all grain, most all local and online homebrew shops will mill the grain for you. Get the first couple batches milled where you buy them, and then save up for a good mill if you decide you want to mill your own grain.

Well over 150 150 will get you a barley crush Crankenstein and a Monster mill provided you already have a drill

Or you can do like Charlie Papazian and tons of other brewers do and use a corona mill. If Papa Charlie can get 87% efficiency from a 25-40 dollar Corona Mill then maybe the barley Crusher or Malt mills aren't the be all and end all are they?

there are 2 alternatives with plenty of info and tips.;

with_drill.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Or the afore mentioned 20 dollar pasta machine used for rolly polymer clay and cheap at any arts and craft store.

mill1.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-pasta-maker-mill-grain-75784/index4.html#post1119370

Where someone posted that they get a consitant 83% efficiency with theres.

These are both great options for folks on a budget or looking to get their feet wet in PM's or all grain...Both can be motorized and can handle as much grain as their hopper can hold.

Thanks for all the info, this site is the best! I've always had prompt/good replies from everyone.

If you're just testing the all-grain waters, just order your grain crushed....or crush it at the store. Most LHBSs I've ever heard of have a crusher you can use, or they'll do it for you. As far as I'm concerned, after getting some grain crushed, and doing an amount of reading on this forum and elsewhere, I just bought the Discount Tommy Corona mill, and did an "ugly junk" install......you can do a search for the thread and see what I and others have done with this mill. I use it and couldn't be happier with the results. Investment? About $20.

Back