Flavoring Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GolbeZ

Reaction score
Alright guys my first batch is in bottles and my 2nd batch is in the primary, and I was wanting to mess around with some flavors for my third batch (still dont know how any of my beers taste but I figure its better to just keep it rolling rather than wait and drink a batch before starting the next one).. I havnt decided yet which flavor.. but I have read on here of people saying how certain flavors affect head attention or cause other problems.. So I made a list of flavors for perhaps future reference, and you dont have to answer them all of course but its more like if you have tried a certain flavor and what did you use and what was the best technique that you figured (ie secondary, bottling, etc)

Vanilla
Chocolate
Coffee
Pecans
Orange
Coconut

Thank guys!

The only flavors of these I can personally attest to are:
Orange - added at end of the boil or in secondary. No problems here.
Vanilla - one bean split down the middle, added to secondary for slight hint of vanilla. Pecans - lots of oil kills head retention and improperly cleaned fresh pecans led to so much astringency in my Pecan Pie Porter it was almost undrinkable past the first few sips. If I did it again, I would use pecan flavoring.

is there a good way to steep the pecans? or would that not do anything different?

Back