dual-pot all grain brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickster51

Reaction score
I've been trying to get together the equipment for an all-grain batch. One expense I'm hesitant about is a $60-80 pot that can hold 7'sh gallons for doing the hour boil. Could this be done with two 4 gallon pots (have one, can get another for $15). I figure managing two 4 gallon pots with 2.5-3 gallons of wort each isn't much more work. All of it is going into the same bucket so I figure hops can just be split up. Also the wort will cool faster if it's in two lower volumes.

Is there a downside to this method? I'm in college so I'm very tight on money but I want to brew beer. All grain kits are cheaper and sound more enjoyable.

Any thoughts on this? am I breaking any rules?

Thanks!

I've been trying to get together the equipment for an all-grain batch. One expense I'm hesitant about is a $60-80 pot that can hold 7'sh gallons for doing the hour boil. Could this be done with two 4 gallon pots (have one, can get another for $15). I figure managing two 4 gallon pots with 2.5-3 gallons of wort each isn't much more work. All of it is going into the same bucket so I figure hops can just be split up. Also the wort will cool faster if it's in two lower volumes.

Is there a downside to this method? I'm in college so I'm very tight on money but I want to brew beer. All grain kits are cheaper and sound more enjoyable.

Any thoughts on this? am I breaking any rules?

Thanks!

Sure, you could do that. But do you have a stove that has two burners powerful enough to boil two pots of over 3 gallons of wort? That can be an issue for many brewers. I have a "turkey fryer" set up that easily boils 6.5 gallons of wort, and they are used outside. Prior to that, I did what you are talking about. But I have a very high BTU gas stove, and I can boil very large volumes inside the house. I just didn't have a big enough pot- so I split it up equally and boiled them both and combined once cooled. Since the boil-off rate will be twice what one pot will be, you'd need to start with about 3.5 gallons of wort in each pot, maybe a little more, to end up with 5 gallons going into the fermenter.

My 30 quart pot cost $20 at academy sports. It's working for now. (Still wish I had a 40-60 qt pot though)

I've been trying to get together the equipment for an all-grain batch. One expense I'm hesitant about is a $60-80 pot that can hold 7'sh gallons for doing the hour boil.

Then don't spend that. You should be able to get a 30-36 qt aluminum pot/steamer for <$25. Check Walmart/Target/Menards/etc.

amazon.com has some sood prices on larger pots, you should be able to get a burner and a 40qt pot for around $120 and i think they even have some that qualify for free shipping.

I have been doing PM's on my stove using a 20qt pot and a 12qt pot with good results, and i have an anchient electric stove. it just takes 20-30 min to get 3 gal of wart to boil, but i dont' mind. just more time prep and clean up.

yep, I do that to heat my mash and sparge. Then I head out back to the bayou burner for the boil.

Get a turkey fryer from Craig's List, just make sure it's min 30 qt and unused. Like this one for $20: Turkey Fryer
Trust me, you will love it. Outdoor brewing is way easier, you don't mess up the kitchen, not to mention all that heat in your house coming from boiling 6 gal of liquid for 1 hour...

I've only brewing for a few months and I am going to try my first all grain in October after I move. I've been looking for the same thing, but I thought aluminum was bad. Am I wrong? If I am that could make my life easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
the wort may cool faster in two pots, but it will take longer to cool them both. and all the transfering, waiting. I say if you can swing it, get the bigger pot. personally, I would wait, save and get a 10 gallon pot. you will wish you did later.

i ran in to the same thing. i have a 5 gallon pot and grabbed the wife's pasta pot. so, i did one pot full boil at 4 gallon and boiled the other just to kill of anything. i'm sure my hop use was a bit lower, but better than forking out for another pot. i cooled the second pot while the first continued to boil and was good to go. and i don't think a larger pot would fit on my stove. my current brew pot already almost hits the light.

Back