No Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe IPA Contest Anyone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I have had numerous IPAs with the 3 majors hops and would like to see if anyone else would like to see about doing an IPA contest to make an IPA without Amarillo, Cascade, & Simcoe. Just thinking it is a good chance for some of us (like myself) to branch out and try some new hops and techniques. So if anyone would like to see if we can do this just extend the thread and le's get a good idea for a HomeBrewTalk contest..

Cheers
HB-Hudy

Just a footnote this would exclude falconers flight blend as well. As we would exclude all 3 of the hops mentioned.

You forgot to exclude Citra.

Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra would be the three most popular and overused.

Let's include it.. Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Cascade.. Anything else?? I like the idea of changing up the thoughts and getting rid of the safe idea's for 5 gallons of IPA..

Centenial it is.. Now we are up to Amarillo, Cascade, Centenial, Citra, and Simcoe.. Anything else we should include??

That would be fair, it would put you in the same situation European homebrewers are! Even if Cascade is quite easy to find, the other ones go from ""not that easy" (centenial, galaxy) to impossible (Nelson, Simcoe...)
So I'd love to see what you can do and get some cool recipes for IPAs based on hops I can actually get in Ireland.
I brewed a Summit (and a slight bit of Chinhook) based IPA which turned out quite good according to IPA drinkers.

I've mad quite a few IPAs and never bought any of the five above, besides Cascade, which I don't think is as hyped, and isn't certainly new.

Try Palisades, Southern Cross (NZ), Pacific Jade (NZ), Columbus, Falconers Flight, Ahtanum, Apollo, Chinook, Mosaic, Horizon.

All some good American-style hops

Why don't you fools just cut out everything,geez. Each one chimes in cutting out vertually everything an IPA is made from. "HEy,I know,lets make an UNIPA!"!!! Not brewed with anything cause we made it all illeagal! YEAAAAAAA!:mad:

Grains & Yeast will not be excluded..
Here is what I am thinking so far..
Now we are up to Amarillo, Cascade, Centenial, Citra, Motueka, Nelson and Simcoe
And Style is as follows::
14B. American IPA

Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma with a citrusy, floral, perfume-like, resinous, piney, and/or fruity character derived from American hops. Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional grassy aroma, although this is not required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the background, but should be at a lower level than in English examples. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is also acceptable. Some alcohol may be noted.

Appearance: Color ranges from medium gold to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with white to off-white color should persist.

Flavor: Hop flavor is medium to high, and should reflect an American hop character with citrusy, floral, resinous, piney or fruity aspects. Medium-high to very high hop bitterness, although the malt backbone will support the strong hop character and provide the best balance. Malt flavor should be low to medium, and is generally clean and malty sweet although some caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable at low levels. No diacetyl. Low fruitiness is acceptable but not required. The bitterness may linger into the aftertaste but should not be harsh. Medium-dry to dry finish. Some clean alcohol flavor can be noted in stronger versions. Oak is inappropriate in this style. May be slightly sulfury, but most examples do not exhibit this character.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-light to medium-bodied mouthfeel without hop-derived astringency, although moderate to medium-high carbonation can combine to render an overall dry sensation in the presence of malt sweetness. Some smooth alcohol warming can and should be sensed in stronger (but not all) versions. Body is generally less than in English counterparts.

Overall Impression: A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately strong American pale ale.

History: An American version of the historical English style, brewed using American ingredients and attitude.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for single-temperature infusion mashing); American hops; American yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation. Water character varies from soft to moderately sulfate. Versions with a noticeable Rye character (“RyePA”) should be entered in the Specialty category.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.056 – 1.075
IBUs: 40 – 70 FG: 1.010 – 1.018
SRM: 6 – 15 ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

I'd be in...but the restrictions do seem quite arbitrary. I would certainly lean on Southern Hemisphere hops you have negelected to exclude.

If I were to ever open a brewery developing a delcious American IPA not using all the expensive hops would be high priority and a definite necessity in my line up.

Not exactly word for word there,hudy. Here's the link y'all; http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php
It just got me how everyone wants to cut out the hops,then all the base malts,etc. You can't cut out the base malts. Then you got no enzymes to convert the starches with. Geezuz got damn stupid shizz almighty...

Just trying to get some thoughts flowing besides the obvious comments of no hops, no malt, no yeast which we have already seen in the thread..

For me this is an extension of our hobby that I was hoping some folks would take a little more seriously. I have made many great IPAs and consumed many both commercial and homebrewed. One common thread seems the be the C hops, Amarillo, and Simcoe.. So I was just thinking a good little contest would be a way to get some new idea's flowing..

I'd be in...but the restrictions do seem quite arbitrary. I would certainly lean on Southern Hemisphere hops you have negelected to exclude.

If I were to ever open a brewery developing a delcious American IPA not using all the expensive hops would be high priority and a definite necessity in my line up.

So far I don't think that we have come up with a clear outline to a contest yet, but I would like the basis to be an America IPA, without the C-hops, Amarillo, & Simcoe.. I am certainly open to add more hops to a "restricted list", but once we remove all the hops we seem to run out of a contest right? :O

I don't see the big deal. Brew with what you want if your goal is to learn about hops. Changing a focus hop in a recipe from Amarillo to Southern Cross and still making a tasty IPA isn't rocket science. This is not an obscure idea. Why does it have to be a contest?

There's a reason all the IPAs that are popular and that we like have those hops in them. There's a reason there's a citra shortage.

I don't see the big deal. Brew with what you want if your goal is to learn about hops. Changing a focus hop in a recipe from Amarillo to Southern Cross and still making a tasty IPA isn't rocket science. This is not an obscure idea. Why does it have to be a contest?

Never suggested it was a big deal, just looking for some new idea's.

Why a contest?? Why not??

There's a reason all the IPAs that are popular and that we like have those hops in them. There's a reason there's a citra shortage.

This is exactly why I thought a contest would be a fun way to get some new ideas without brewing 5 different IPAs at the same time. Just saying it could be a cool way to get some more ideas.

This is exactly why I thought a contest would be a fun way to get some new ideas without brewing 5 different IPAs at the same time. Just saying it could be a cool way to get some more ideas.

I know, I understand, was just messing around. Continuing on that note, if you want some ideas for recipes without those hops, check beer advocate for all the beers rated 90 or less, then you'll have some guidelines :D

I know, I understand, was just messing around. Continuing on that note, if you want some ideas for recipes without those hops, check beer advocate for all the beers rated 90 or less, then you'll have some guidelines :D

I get it.. I was/am in no way offended, just continuing to look for input. I like the idea of unique brews not a clone of another beer (if that is what you are thinking).

Anyway this seems to be more effort then it is worth..

I may not have any contributions but I certainly don't think you should give up on the contest idea.

Back