Are Vampires just a higher class of zombies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vampires from "Twilight" don't count. We're a little out of my area of expertise, but I'm pretty confident in saying that VAMPIRES DO NOT SPARKLE. I don't know what kind of creature DOES sparkle (unicorns?), but I'm highly confident that it is not, in fact, vampires.

Yeah, well, creative liberty is creative liberty. George Romero created the ultimate zombie type, and then, years later, 28 Days Later says "no, sorry, they're super-fast and have glowing red eyes".

You could make the case that Frankenstein's monster is a zombie, but it depends on what version you're going off of. The one created from old corpse parts could be considered a zombie, but the method of creation implies that it's a construct like a golem or a robot. Alternately, the version of the story in which it was created from Dr. Frankenstein's own blood and tissue and grown in a vat would be a homunculus. Homunculi are shown in Bride of Frankenstein, so that description isn't even that far removed from the classic movie version of the monster.

dracula.jpg

A little flashy maybe... But, definitely not gay.

christopher-lee-dracula.jpg

And still... Not gay.

vampires_Interview_with_the_Vampire.jpg

Ok... You may have me there. But, I'm not sure that counts since those actors are probably actually gay. :)

vampires have powers, like a demon.. magic and ****.... while a zombie is just a plain old diseased corpse....

vampires have weakness and are easily killed, can't come in the house unless invited, have to hide from the sun, etc...

zombies can't be killed, only destroyed - even if they completely rot away they just become a skeletons, carve bones into spears and keep coming

Another non-gay Vampire.

SalemsLot11.jpg

Speaking of Salem's Lot:

This scene scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it. I think I was about 10-12yrs old.

watch

I'm not really versed on the White Wolf mythos, but I think the origin of vampires in that RPG system is Cain of Cain and Abel. He was cursed by God to wander the earth forever in darkness, and any of his spawn would carry the same curse.

Yeah, pretty much. When Cain sacrificed the blood of his brother, God placed a mark upon him and banished him from mankind to the land of Nod. However while being pursued by Angels he came across Lilith (who has her own mythos) and learned to wrap himself in darkness. From here Cain observed mankind in its weakness, and decided to build the First City of Enoch where Cain no longer had to hide, and sired 3 "sons," the Second Generation or Antediluvians which were destroyed (or were they? another story...) in The Flood. Cain escaped and built the Second City and sired The Thirteen, or the 3rd gen, which were the forefathers of the clans. With each generation, the mark of Cain diluted and their powers diminished, and the 13 warred with each other over what they did have. Although the blood of Cain was diluted, they still held terrible forces and the war between them was terrible. Cain got pissed at his childe, and prophesied Gehenna, or the end of the world for the vampires, and wandered off into the night promising that the final judgment of his offspring would be held by him and not by God, and that the children of Seth (Cains other still human brother) would one day no longer be afraid of them and force the vampires into hiding. The 13 laughed, and went back to their wars once Cain left. About this time, the children of Seth Built Constantinople, and the wars between the 13 brought about its destruction. As Constantinople burned, the children of Seth turned on their masters. The 13 realizing that Cain's prophesy might hold some truth, fled into hiding and continue to live in the darkness until Cain comes again to pass his judgment among them.

Been awhile since I have read any of the White Wolf stuff, but i enjoyed the hell out of it back when I had the time to... :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, all that scared of garlic, and can only come in if invited is BS in the White Wolf World, they are just stories invented by the children of Seth once the vampires went into hiding. Although sunlight and fire do deal aggravated damage which is pretty nasty... As far as holy relics, they only work against vampires whose "Road" or "alignment" in D&D is evil. There are vampires hiding out in the Clergy (several of the Popes are supposed vampires) that are quite comfortable with holy relics.

I really like WW much better than D&D, because you can coincide it with actual history when telling your stories, and just put a little spin on it :D

I really like WW much better than D&D, because you can coincide it with actual history when telling your stories, and just put a little spin on it :D

I've never really liked WW, although I've played in a couple games. The mythos is great, but the actual game mechanics are pretty weak in my opinion. Too much fluff and not enough crunch for my taste.

I've never really liked WW, although I've played in a couple games. The mythos is great, but the actual game mechanics are pretty weak in my opinion. Too much fluff and not enough crunch for my taste.

I understand that, but I liked being able to play a game and tell a story without having to toss dice every time you turn around... Plus with the huge backstory and the backdrop of 13th century history (Dark Ages) or Modern times (Masqurade), you can make a bout of ex deus machina seem a bit more plausible story wise :D

Has anyone read the 13 Bullets series by David Wellington? Those are some scary-ass vampires, not like the pussies in Twilight.

I admit that I'm on the third Twilight book now, because my wife offered me a hell of a deal if I read them, and also this way she can't say 'don't criticize it, you haven't read it!' They aren't vampires, they're goth kids who can run fast.

As for zombies being an inferior species? Psh. Zombies have the advantage in that they're stupid. Turning your food source into more of you exponentially decreases the amount of food, so vampires would restrain themselves from creating more while soon it'd just be endless fields of zombies looking for the few remaining brains.

Most twisted, vile, manipulative, evil, corrupt, villainous vampires ever:

Necroscope

The first 5 books were bad ass, the blood brother series was awesome. After that, however, everything sucked.

****ed up stuff. If you don't want to have nightmares about werewolves ripping women in half by raping them, don't read it.

Not only do vampires have superior killing skill, but they have the wherewithal to use it...

vampires don't have superior killing skill

neither vampire or zombie have any skill at all other than what they had as a human

besides when hell overflows the zombies will make up for any lack of skill with overwhelming numbers and when the vampires have to hide in the day time the zombies will dig them up and rip them limb from limb

vampires don't have superior killing skill

neither vampire or zombie have any skill at all other than what they had as a human

besides when hell overflows the zombies will make up for any lack of skill with overwhelming numbers and when the vampires have to hide in the day time the zombies will dig them up and rip them limb from limb

The Wamphyri shall destroy you!

vampires are gay ( although often portrayed as womanizers) and thats why we have werewolves , the antithesis of gayness , in fact ofton seen feeding off gay euro-tech techo fags in underground rave traps that they bate with miller chill and vicks vaperrub.

Werewolves_by_zeon_277.jpg

yeah yeah poindexter i know that thay are a lycanthrope and not undead
just saying there not gays is all

Back