Wyeast 3522 - Belgian Ardennes Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting a Flanders-style Red ale and am using Wyeast 3522 with it. Two quick questions. First, will this yeast be a good fit for this beer? Second, within a couple days, the kreusen went crazy. Strangely, nothing is coming down the blowoff tube, but there's already some kreusen coming out from under the lid of my Minibrew fermenter. Since I already secured a clean sheet around the top to keep pests out of the beer, the top hasn't blown off, but I'm confused as to why it hadn't come down the blowoff tube yet. Finally, the kreusen spill over is sort of foamy, sort of doughy and almost even tacky. I've never seen anything like it before but decided to just let it run its course, RDWHAHB and all that. Feel free to provide your opinions on this one. :confused:

Ardennes is a fabulous yeast, one of my favorites. I think it perfectly appropriate for your Red Ale. It won't be as funky as some Flemish ales, but you don't need to worry about the hard-to-kill bugs you need to get that funk.

Odd about the krausen. I'd check for an obstruction in the blow-off tube.

Bob

Back