Pronunciation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't have thought there was more that one way to pronounce wort. My question is a reasonable one.

StewJo said:
I wouldn't have thought there was more that one way to pronounce wort. My question is a reasonable one.

Lighten up, Francis. No one said it was unreasonable. I just found it puzzling.

So, really, I'm curious: is there more than one way to pronounce "rack?" Did you hear or read something to make you suspect there might be?

StewJo said:
Yeah, lighten up stewie. ;) I'm a little puzzled by the "rack" question too...but just to be sure, it rhymes with sack.

"it rhymes with sack."

Four word answer, thanks!

I did hear someone pronounce it "rake" as in "rake the leaves" but as a newbie, I didn't have the confidence to correct him.

StewJo said:
I did hear someone pronounce it "rake" as in "rake the leaves" but as a newbie, I didn't have the confidence to correct him.

Maybe the individual had a speech impediment......

My guy at the HBS I buy from pronounces wort as "vert". I've always head it pronounced as "wert". Isn't dat vierd?

I've only heard rack pronounced like "slack"

EDIT - OK, OK it rhymes with "slack". Happy? :cross:

I suppose a true Southerner might pronounce "rack" as a two syllable word...

"Ray - ack"

I've always said you can tell everything you need to know about a Christian's theology by the number of syllables when they say the name "Jesus."

StewJo said:

English spelling rules: the 'ck' before a vowel means that the vowel is short. So 'rack' will never be anything other than 'rack' with the 'a' as in 'apple'.

I've heard wort as 'wert' and 'wort' (rhymes with 'wart'). Not sure which one and the spelling rules don't help for this one. ;)

ian said:
My guy at the HBS I buy from pronounces wort as "vert".

does he read Wittgenstein and listen to wagner, or Vittgenstein and Vagner?

rack rymes with crack, as in "today im going to smoke a big bowl of crack"

Ok, while we are on the the subject of pronunciation, I have question. What it the pronunciation of saaz. I have been pronouncing it like Jazz, but it occurred to me that it is most likely a checkislovakian word and I may be mispronouncing it.

Hercules Rockefeller said:
... What it the pronunciation of saaz. I have been pronouncing it like Jazz...
I've always heard it pronounced it as 'sahws' and that's how I say it. Unless I'm drunk, then I'm likely to slip up and pronounce it like 'jazz'. But, you know, the smoker you drink the player you get.

Hercules Rockefeller said:
Ok, while we are on the the subject of pronunciation, I have question. What it the pronunciation of saaz. I have been pronouncing it like Jazz, but it occurred to me that it is most likely a checkislovakian word and I may be mispronouncing it.

Saaz is actually the German word for hops grown in the Zatec region of the Czech Republic. In German it would be pronounced 'Sawtz' or maybe 'Saaaatz' depending on region.

Back