Fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on lots of factors, but if it smells like death... then that was too long. To be safe, you should move it off within 4-6 weeks.

Its been fermenting three weeks but the gravity has been at 1.030 for a week now. It tastes like pure alcohol and doesnt taste too good yet ( obviously not what I was going for but its beer), so im trying to decide to bottle over the weekend or let it sit for another week in the fermenter?? Its suppose to be a strong scotch ale and ive only done a handful of batches so im pretty new to this.

Sounds like you are stuck and its likely not going to drop anymore. What was your recipe, OG, and fermentation temps? The more info we get, the better we can focus on issues.

I made the recipe:

steeped- 12 oz crystal malt 60L, 2.4 oz english chocalate, 4 oz Roasted Barley

4 lbs ultralight LME @60 min
1 oz Williamette hops @ 60 min
6 lbs maris otter LME @25 min
.3 oz kent goldings @30min
3.2 oz brown sugar @ 15 min
.3 oz kent goldings at flame out

I used two bottles white labs yeast i think it was edinburgh( or something like that). First bottle exploded becasue I shook it up too hard, but I think I salvaged more than half.

The SG was 1.080 and I started the fermentation around 70 and then lowered the temperature to 66 a week in. BAsed on what I read there are no signs of contamination.

You may have shocked the yeast with the temp drop. I would raise the temp back up and rouse the yeast and see I they can't finish up for you.

You were at the higher end of fermentation temps and there is a fair amount of sugar in the recipe so you got some excessive fusel alcohols and maybe they can finish and clean up.

Thanks. Can the temp change really cause a big problem?? Should I be worried?? I left it a little high becasue I thought it would activate the yeast a little more. and then i lowered it thinking it wouldnt be an issue. I was still getting bubbles after I lowered it. The other reason I mention it is beacsue I bought a temperature control (the one that switches off the fridge when it gets too cold), and I have the temperature at 66 but have seen it fluctuate between 62-68.

Back