Keg question/issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rau71

Reaction score
I kegged my first beer on Monday. I have had it on CO2 set at 20PSI at about 39 degrees. Today I wanted to see if I was carbed, open the tap and nothing. The keg has pressure on it, I can't open it up, but nothing comes out. I dry hopped in keg. Is this just a dip tube being plugged with hop particles or is something else wrong?

How did you dry hop? In the keg? If so, were the hops in a bag, or were they loose? What form were the hops in...pellets or flowers?

Rau71 said:
Pellet hops, no bag in keg.

You'd at least get a trickle. All valves open? Are you sure your beer-out disconnect is fully connected? Have you bled the CO2 off of your key yet? At 20 psi, it'll shoot out of your faucet. Hmm.

Sounds plugged to me. I have dry hopped in the keg just once, and it caused problems.

I blew air through the dip tube. I opened the other end and I got TONS of foam. Switched them back and nothing. Must be plugging as soon as pressure hit the dip tube?

Do you have another keg?

I'm thinking you could siphon out to the second keg and rack away from the hops sediment.

Perhaps it's clogged, but I'd expect at least some beer to make it out of your faucet if that's the only issue. Have you used your kegging equipment before? If it's clogged, I concur that you should bleed the keg, let the sediment settle, then rack the beer to a other keg... but don't put it through a strainer, it'll introduce a ton of O2 and potentially stale your beer. Good luck!

Sorry misspoke I would put hop bag around end of hose in the transfer keg to catch any floaters, As for it being clogged I would bet on it doesn't take much to clog the dip tube poppet. IMHO

Back