Seasonals Grinding My Gears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I care not how soon a seasonal hits the shelves, for like with a TV program I still possess enough sense to buy, or not buy, watch, or not watch.

I do, however, find it irritating to go looking for a seasonal beer mid-season only to be told that it's no longer in stock and unavailable from the brewery/distributor.

I'm with the guy that mentioned air conditioning. If I am outside and its hot then maybe I need a cream ale. But I can take my happy butt inside and after I cool off pour a winter ale into a glass and have a seat. Regardless of time of year. I can't be picky living in the south cause sometimes its 9 months of summer and three months of fall and spring combined.

I saw Sierra Nevada Tumbler at a grocery store in N California last week when it was 105 outside. Nothing says a nice fall beer like a heatwave.

The problem is that they don't ADD fall seasonals to the shelf that is still full of summer seasonals. It's still in the mid 80's and it sucks that all the shop real estate is now dedicated to pumpkin and O'fest beers a month too soon. I know, buy an extra case or two.

Waynep005 said:
I saw Sierra Nevada Tumbler at a grocery store in N California last week when it was 105 outside. Nothing says a nice fall beer like a heatwave.

Hehe it was in the 90s as well when I purchased my sixer of tumbler.

I dont think they do. I swear half that store is already christmas stuff and in a few months the christmas songs will be played and i wont go to the stores.

I think the bigger issue is did you check in your manhood when you entered Hobby Lobby?

I think the bigger issue is did you check in your manhood when you entered Hobby Lobby?

Nonsense! There's a lot of sweet stuff in that store. It's not Home Depot, but it's also not <insert girly store> either. :off:

they could serve pumking year round and I would drink it weekly if not daily!!!! also Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest is on draft year round here at European St. and it is my Goto beer there!!

mb82 said:
X2
I got in store like that all the time for fly tying stuff. BTW Hobby Lobby rocks.

Ok ok I'll give you that it isn't JoAnne's fabrics where I was dragged this last Saturday...

This, right here. It's like mid-February, and all that's available are spring wheat beers.

It's your fault for not stocking up during the pre-season ;) i try to buy a case of my favorite seasonal's when they become available so I can enjoy them for months to come! :p

I don't particularly like most summer seasonals, so bring on the fall beers. Otherwise I agree with the OP.

I was down by the shore a week ago and hit up this beach bar, as its was like 95 out I went with the Sam Adams summer and they had already replaced it with octobefest, I was in shock, I mean damn I like the stuff but I can't bring myself to drink that stuff when its the end of july

Now if only I could buy only the blonde agave that's sold only as part of the blue moon summer seasonal pack, I would stock up. I do like Sam Adams Summer Ale too.

Haha i just bought an Elysian Night Owl sixer and was sitting around my fire last night thinking wow its fall already......damn you marketing

Fall/Winter brews are where its at, Summer beers are lame. I dont want to drink a beer that's lighter than pale just because it has honey or orange peels or something, that's just nonsense. You know what's good on a hot summer day? A freaking IPA, and they make them year round too!!! Just because its hot doesnt mean I want less flavor.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I love Fall and Winter brews, and I live in Seattle, so we dont really have summer anyway. These early releases are fine by me, as long as they're still around in December/January (dont want them to blow their entire load in August/September and have nothing left in the winter).

RainyDay said:
Fall/Winter brews are where its at, Summer beers are lame. I dont want to drink a beer that's lighter than pale just because it has honey or orange peels or something, that's just nonsense. You know what's good on a hot summer day? A freaking IPA, and they make them year round too!!! Just because its hot doesnt mean I want less flavor.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I love Fall and Winter brews, and I live in Seattle, so we dont really have summer anyway. These early releases are fine by me, as long as they're still around in December/January (dont want them to blow their entire load in August/September and have nothing left in the winter).

Cmon 40 days without rain i think that qualifies as summer. How many 90 degree days do we need. Although i agree IPA on a hot day aint nuttin betta

RainyDay said:

I live in AZ where it's always summer. Light and cold is refreshing here. I was just in Seattle last weekend though.

Punity said:
Cmon 40 days without rain i think that qualifies as summer. How many 90 degree days do we need. Although i agree IPA on a hot day aint nuttin betta

All I know is we had far too many 90 degree days this year. Thank goodness we're back into sane temperatures now. I'll happily take a month of rain over a month of nonstop sunshine thank you very much!

Here the fall seasonals came out right on time. Almost perfect.

Well,despite the original topic.I was thouroughly enjoying a Smuttynose pumpkin ale being 90 degrees out and being in a 72 degreee probably too cool house and just pretending the leaves are changing and falling looking outside. Maybe its just the nastalgia of the spices that make me not care about looking at the heat outside:D from inside.

CidCitrus said:
I don't particularly like most summer seasonals, so bring on the fall beers. Otherwise I agree with the OP.

This. Summer beers are by and large boooooring (this is a fact, not my opinion). I also think pumpkin beers are gross, but other fall seasonals do it for me.

Back