RedHook Sunrye Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Just saw this in the store (12pk) and am curious if it worth the money. If you've tried it let me know what you think.

My dad bought the variety pack from redhook it was in the package. I only had a sip of this one, Was pretty bland IMO. No real taste to it. Probably good outside beer. I would not ever buy it. I did like their IPA, and finished those up quickly.

I've wanted to try a rye beer and it's the first I seen. Never sure when it comes to RedHook beers some are good, others not so great.

brewt00l said:
How much was it?

13 bucks for the 12 pack. I would have bought it, if they sold it in a six pack, but now I'm kind of glad i didn't.

Haven't tried it yet...I'll keep a lookout for it. FWIW, their ESB and IPA are both above average, decent beers, but certainly not best in their styles.

I am a big fan of the ESB, but the IPA is a little low on hops IMO.

Wait until you move to WA. Then you can get it for about $10.00 a 12 pack.
I think this used to be called Ryehook (before they got sold or something). It has been years since I had it, but like the others say it was unremarkable.

Not for sure since I've never had the original. The Longhammer is the least impressive of the few IPA's that I have tried. It's more a pale ale than an IPA and lacks the aggressive hop character of what I would consider better beers. With the exception of the ESB none of the Redhook beers I've tried to date are ones I would buy again.

McKBrew said:
Not for sure since I've never had the original. The Longhammer is the least impressive of the few IPA's that I have tried. It's more a pale ale than an IPA and lacks the aggressive hop character of what I would consider better beers. With the exception of the ESB none of the Redhook beers I've tried to date are ones I would buy again.
FWIW, I had the long hammer IPA on tap and thought it was pretty good. It is quite possible that it used to be called something different as they changed the names on most of their stuff a few years ago (when they were bought by some macro brewery - AB I think).

Dude said:
What is with the Redhook "Longhammer IPA"? Is it the same IPA just a new name?

I never had their old IPA so I can't say if it's the same or not, but Longhammer is one of my favorite beers whether it's an IPA, PA or a PDA.

I wish I had a recipe for it.

No, sadly I don't get out much...

Redhook has gone down hill since they went public. More of a "bridge" brewer than craft, but not as good at it as Sierra Nevada. I wasn't impressed with the summer rye, even as a lawnmower beer. My Bent Rod Rye is much better.

david_42 said:
Redhook has gone down hill since they went public. More of a "bridge" brewer than craft, but not as good at it as Sierra Nevada. I wasn't impressed with the summer rye, even as a lawnmower beer. My Bent Rod Rye is much better.

I believe that AB owns 40ish% of RedHook. Not to say that is a ad thing...just saying.

Beerrific said:
I believe that AB owns 40ish% of RedHook. Not to say that is a ad thing...just saying.

True statement on AB's ownership.

I never did try the Redhook, but picked up a bottle of Hop Rod on Sat when Brewtopia took me over to Bottleworks. Haven't tried it yet, but at least now I have it.

Im a fan of the Redhook brand, especially their Winter Hook. That one to me tastes just like, well, a great plant friend of mine.

I would say that their IPA isn't as aggresive as stated above but I like the fact that its got enough alcohol in it 6.5%? and its a fair price here $5.99 per sixer

Latest posts

Back