Temperature Controller Inductive Load Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFaden

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I am looking at putting together a controller for a kegerator to repair a friends kegerator with a busted thermostat. I am looking at using a standard PID controller. The first question then comes to which type of relay to use? I have seen a lot of people around here use different controllers, but was curious if I should be using a SSR or a Mechanical Relay? Second question is that in theory the load of the compressor is an inductive load so should I build a circuit to protect the PID controller from the blowback from the inductive load (e.g. the compressor)? Most of the designs I have seen on here people don't seem to account for this?

Thanks
Eric

First thing I would say is that if the compressor is small enough, it probably wouldn't be much of a concern. I know plenty of people have powered dorm fridges and the like without anything special to protect, but those are usually running around 2-3 amps, so the startup on those isn't too significant. Also, there are other controllers where the relays are built in, made to handle up to 10amps that may suit you quite well. I bought 2 on ebay today that I plan on using for fermentation and keezer, under $30 each after shipping.
Temp Controller
I figured since they're made for cooling and heating, that they are built to handle a small compressor load, PLUS they give you an option to set a delay time on the cooling stage, so you prevent the compressor from short cycling (you can probably do this with a PID, but i think it may be a bit more complicated int he programming)

Latest posts

Back