Bad Pack of Wyeast 2112? What is the lag time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdmiralRed

Reaction score
Hey there folks I have a question about 2112. I really don't have any experience with it, but I think I might have a problem.

Friday night I put together a starter for my slap pack and put it on my stir plate. Slapped the pack and it never puffed after 3 hours. I poured it in anyway thinking maybe I just had not given it enough time. I left it with sanitized foil over the top and went to bed.

Woke up Saturday morning. Still no activity. Made a small starter of US-05 for my Robust Porter that I brewed yesterday. Started the US-05 before I brewed, took off fine, no life out of the 2112 by the end of the day.

It's now Sunday morning and the airlock on the 2112 is still bottomed out. I am brewing a Baltic Porter this afternoon and I need these guys to get to work. Do I have a bad pack? Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

I had a similar experience as you had. Made a starter on Friday night with 2112 (July MFG date). It was a 2-liter starter on a stir plate. I saw no activity, so i pitched Saflager S-23 into the starter 1 hour before pitching. Pitched the whole thing into my Baltic porter and it really took off. First blowoff from a lager.. I think I should have been more patient, and waited to see if there was no activity and then pitched the S-23. Next time, I will make my starter a few days ahead, not 24 hours before planned pitching.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to be patient, but it is at about 30 hours and counting. I still have a long brew day ahead of me, so maybe it will straighten up by the time I am done. I just don't want to miss the opportunity to pick more yeast up if it needs it.

I have had the same issue. If the yeast is a few months old give it a few days to get going. You will have much better luck. I have only had one bad pack and that was because it was frozen. I had 4 freeze solid and 3 still worked. Just be patient. :)

The biggest lesson that I have learned in my brewing career is to have a backup yeast plan. I always have S-04, US-05 and S-23 on hand just in case. I have had to go to plan B on more than one occasion, especially with yeast shipped in warmer months. My LHBS prices are really high, so I only purchase ingredient from online sources, but I purchase yeast from LHBS. They get weekly shipments.. plus I get to pick the freshest in stock.

About 17 minutes left in the mash and the yeast decided to wake up. Bubbling pretty decently now on the stir plate. Started with a 1L starter and just made up another 1000ml that is going to go in the flask in a few. I think everything is going to be fine by the time I hit the fermenter.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I was just a little nervous as this going to be a big Baltic.

Latest posts

Back