Kolsch style yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a Kolsch style beer next and since I haven't had a chance to run this by my HBS guy I thought I would see if anyone has any experience with this. My recipe calls for Wyeast #2565 yeast which shows a temp range of 56-64 deg F. My HBS only stocks White Labs and looking up in Northern Brewers catalogue I see they have a strain labled German Ale/Kolsch but it shows a temp range of 65-69 deg F with the specific remark that it doesn't ferment well below 62deg F. I can usually find a close match between the two manufacturers but the difference here, for what is supposed to be a specific style is too different for me to be comfortable with. White Labs lists it's strain as an Ale yeast while Wyeast lists it's as a Lager. Any input will be greatfully appreciated.

FWIW, I've only ever used the White Labs German Ale/Kolsch yeast. I brewed my first Kolsch last March and fermented it indoors at close to 70oF in the primary. It was an extract recipe and turned out very well - one of the better beers I've done.

Now that I've gone all-grain, I plan to convert it and try it again the same time next year.

Thanks Rhoob, I was hoping someone had used this strain for this style beer. I think I'll be trying it in Sept when it cools down a bit.

i used the white labs kolsh yeast in the dead of an indiana winter, when my cellar never got above 58 degrees. fermented just fine, and was also one of my better extract recipies! go for it, a very clean yeast :)

i've used the White Labs Kolsch yeast too, and fermented at about the same temp as rhoobarb. but, i conditioned mine in my keg fridge for 3 weeks at about 38-40 degrees. that strain of yeast is the exact opposite of a California Steam/San Fransisco yeast strain. Lager strains at ale temps, as opposed to ale strain at lager temps. the WL Kolsch will be okay at room temp, just fruitier and not as clean finishing. mine came out good/.

Back