Keeping fermenter at 65-70 degrees w/ large bucket and water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokenfloken

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the fermenter between 65 and 70 degrees for the warm summer months? I bought some larger buckets that will hold my fermenting buckets with the hope that I could put water and ice/ice packs to regulate the temperature. Has anyone else tried this? Does it work? Is there a better way to keep it at a constant temperature. By the way, I do not have the space to buy another refrigerator and I live in a large apartment that has no basement. Thanks in advance for you advice.

I think the water bath will work great.

If you want to get crazy build a son of fermentation chiller. I built one using a cellphone charger for the power supply, fan out of an old computer, an old thermostat and the $25 sheet of 2inch insulation from home depot.

Interesting. I live in Michigan where the temperature is about 70-80 degrees this time of year. Do you think JUST the water bath would lower the temperature by 10 degrees or do you think the ice would definitely be required?

It works better if you can insulate the entire set up, to keep the temperature from fluctuating much. A water bath will warm up to room temperature eventually, bringing the beer temperature up with it. The temperature changes don't happen fast, with that much water insulating it, but keeping the entire set up insulating makes the temperature changes even more gradual.

Here's my solution:
4189-DSCF0001.JPG

I add water, and then frozen water bottles as needed to keep the temperature at 65 degrees. Now, I live in a colder climate, so I don't have much problem at all. I use the same set up in the winter, with an aquarium heater, to keep my temperatures up to 65 degrees or so.

I use a bucket to hold the carboy, and fill it with water. Then I use a pump to pump water from the bucket to a small cooler that was ice water in it. The pump is controlled by a temperature controller. The water in the cooler overflows back into the bucket with the carboy.

It works better if you can insulate the entire set up, to keep the temperature from fluctuating much. A water bath will warm up to room temperature eventually, bringing the beer temperature up with it. The temperature changes don't happen fast, with that much water insulating it, but keeping the entire set up insulating makes the temperature changes even more gradual.

Here's my solution:
4189-DSCF0001.JPG

I add water, and then frozen water bottles as needed to keep the temperature at 65 degrees. Now, I live in a colder climate, so I don't have much problem at all. I use the same set up in the winter, with an aquarium heater, to keep my temperatures up to 65 degrees or so.

I like the top on your cooler but have one question? How did you cut the foam board so cleanly? I have been trying to build the Son of Ferm and am having a heck of a time getting nice clean cuts with a fine toothed saw.

I like the top on your cooler but have one question? How did you cut the foam board so cleanly? I have been trying to build the Son of Ferm and am having a heck of a time getting nice clean cuts with a fine toothed saw.

use a razor knife and make several cuts until you are all the way through.:mug:

I used a sawz-all and got clean cuts... not all of them are straight, but apfelwine may have more to do with that then the saw!

I used a dremel. That made it really easy, and I just cut three layers and glued them together. My buddy has lots of tools, so he comes in handy some times.

Latest posts

Back