Painting the Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
I painted my stand with Rustoleum high temperature paint and areas of contact with the keggle and nearby came off. I intend to sand it back to bare metal and bought some VHT FlameProof paint that has a ceramic component to it. However it needs to be cured starting @ 250F up to 650F. Since I don't have an oven to do this I was trying to think of ways to fake it. Heat lamp? not sure if that would get hot enough.

Any ideas?

how was your prep on the stand? paint doesn't like to adhere to bare metal, some sort of metal etch or primer first will help. as far as baking, i would assume everything is welded and nothing removable? a heat lamp or even one of those afterburner type space heaters probly wouldn't get you anywhere near the temp you would need. best suggestion would be to properly prep before painting or pay for a ceramic powdercoating or something.

how was your prep on the stand? paint doesn't like to adhere to bare metal, some sort of metal etch or primer first will help. as far as baking, i would assume everything is welded and nothing removable? a heat lamp or even one of those afterburner type space heaters probly wouldn't get you anywhere near the temp you would need. best suggestion would be to properly prep before painting or pay for a ceramic powdercoating or something.

I sanded the metal & angle grinded with gator disk, then wiped down with Mineral spirits. High temp powder coating is $200 or so. Did not feel like spending that for what is only an issue on such a small part of the stand.

I used header and exhaust paint, then a clear coat of the same. It went on over bare metal because any primer used underneath would probably lose bond under high heat. It's been holding up quite well. The first time you use the stand will cure it but I put a piece of sheet metal on top and ran the burners on low for a bit just to be safe.

Back