Beer wont Clear.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tawatkin

Reaction score
Hi, Sorry if this has come up before but i cant find it anywhere so thaught i would ask.

My first keg of beer is sitting happily in my king keg. It should be ready to drink within the next 3 days or so however a couple of test pulls from it still show and awful lot of particulate matter suspended in my otherwise very tasty beer.

My keg has a float system in it, so should draw from the top of the keg which one would have thaught would have cleared long ago.

Everything was properly disinfected and serilised before use and theres nothing wrong with the beer per-se its just not that astheticlly pleasing.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

homebrewer_99 said:
This is one reason why beer was served in ceramic mugs for hundreds of years...so you didn't see what it looked like...you just drank it.:D

Yeah thats a thought... from reading "Designing great beer" you do have to wonder what it looked like. For one reason or another I dont seem to make a lot of beer that is meant to be clear. I love dark beer and I love wheat..... if I had to make a Bud look alike (heaven forbid) I wonder how clear it would be... not that my process is not down good (extract and grains that is). Before the chiller purchase I wonder if I would have gotten haze... eh.... to much thinking to late at night....

There is always the option of using finings or filtering. I might filter one batch in ten & I think the Bent Rod Rye might be the next one; wheat and rye. It's one murky wort.

Back