What are the cheapest reusable commercial beer bottles you know of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a huge variety of commercial bottles, by far sam adams has the best. I've used some of those bottles for 10+ batches where I've heard after 5-6 batches is when the integrity of the bottle is suspect

I've used a huge variety of commercial bottles, by far sam adams has the best. I've used some of those bottles for 10+ batches where I've heard after 5-6 batches is when the integrity of the bottle is suspect

Why would the bottles EVER become suspect unless your capping process does something strange?

I was buying different craft brews, for the "flavor research" as well as the bottles. I now save all that money for ingredients for my own beers. I like mine about as good as any commercial beers anyway.

I've read bottles will break down after heat sterilization in a few batches but I've never heard of them getting worn in other ways. Will they go bad over such a short period using liquid sanitizers? (Iodophor)

Budweiser American Ale (if they still sell that) uses pop-tops, if I remember correctly.

Sierra Nevada's beers can be had by the 12-pack for just over a buck per bottle (I just bought Ruthless Rye from a grocery store for $13.49 a couple of weeks ago).

I've read bottles will break down after heat sterilization in a few batches but I've never heard of them getting worn in other ways. Will they go bad over such a short period using liquid sanitizers? (Iodophor)

They are completely inert to StarSan and Iodophor, as well most most other liquids.

The only bottle bomb I ever had was following oven-baking. The batch was not overcarbonated, BTW.

Screw that then. I'll stick with liquid. The prices I've seen for bottles alone seems ridiculous. Isn't drinking beer worth a little elbow grease? Thanks for the advice. I'll check out Costco and the other brands.

Look for a bottle recycler in your area. In mine the bottles aren't worth the effort but an upscale grocer takes them anyway. You can have all you want.

I live in Michigan and we have a 10 cent deposit on all carbonated beverage containers so I think I'd have to pay at least that per bottle and not get to drink the beer that was once inside of it. This would sadden me.

Where do you live? I've had very good luck buying returnables from several places for a dime each. I've heard of bars and restaurants selling returnables to homebrewers the same way in states that don't have bottle returns.

I prefer the Guinness Stout bottles because they got a sexy shape and the label peels right off (shrink plastic) with a quick slide of a knife. Of course you gotta pull the plastic widget out with needlenose pliers, but that takes all of 5 seconds once you get the hang of it.

I live in Michigan and we have a 10 cent deposit on all carbonated beverage containers so I think I'd have to pay at least that per bottle and not get to drink the beer that was once inside of it. This would sadden me.

Seriously?? Buy the returnables for a dime each and use the savings to buy some GOOD craft beer!

If you really want to buy all of your bottles with beer in them we'd have to know what kind of beer you like, because we can't suggest what you would like.

Why would the bottles EVER become suspect unless your capping process does something strange?
QUOTE]

I just heard that lower quality bottles can't handle the stress of pressure\heat changes overtime. I've had some bottle bombs in a batch, and I never change the way I bottle. Could have been a fluke, but I've stuck with Sam Adams bottles since then and haven't had a problem.

I just have my local bartender put the empties in a case behind the bar and I pick them up from her after a couple of days. I just hook her up with a six pack of homebrew. Funny how she is the only person that returns the empty bottles.

Budweiser American Ale (if they still sell that) uses pop-tops, if I remember correctly.

I bought many bombers of Bud American Ale for the bottles. I didn't mind the beer, either. Solid APA at a bargain price. The labels come off with warm water.

I just bought 80(500ml)bottles from a local micro brewery, for $35. Expensive but they are not labelled and I like the shape of the neck, its wide then narrows so there seems to be less chance of blow ups. Everything is more expensive here in Canada. The owner even apologized for the high price, but he said it was his price. Whatever, I'm happy with them. They also cap really nicely.

picaroonsbottle.JPG

Homercidal said:
Seriously?? Buy the returnables for a dime each and use the savings to buy some GOOD craft beer!

If you really want to buy all of your bottles with beer in them we'd have to know what kind of beer you like, because we can't suggest what you would like.

I just wanted to know the cheapest. I'm not incredibly picky although I'd prefer a premium brew. I was just wondering what would be inexpensive to burn through because I want to bottle another batch but will have a substantial portion if the bottles I have (Sam Adams mostly) full of a previous ale.

Look to see if any of the premium lagers are pry off. Mich Original, Schlitz.

Bud American Ale still is, I think.

I can't help much because I generally buy Bells, Founders, Arcadia, and other Michigan craft beers, and I KNOW they aren't the cheapest!

Maybe hit up a Sams Club. Look to see who has the pry offs. I know that Meijer also carries a good selection of craft beer. Look for cases, because the larger the box the cheaper each bottle will be.

I have a shop down the street that sells new belgium mighty arrow for 3 bucks a 6 pack cause it is 'old'. So naturally I buy it buy the case, with tax and crv I believe it was 14 and some change.

Did the beer mature during its time on the shelf? probably. Was it at all worse then something fresh? No. Did I enjoy it? Yes.

my advice shop around a lot of places sell beer for a lot cheaper once it is about a year old. Considering my lhbs asks about 50 cents a bottle for empties it made it seem a lot like free beer.

evwoller said:
I have a shop down the street that sells new belgium mighty arrow for 3 bucks a 6 pack cause it is 'old'. So naturally I buy it buy the case, with tax and crv I believe it was 14 and some change.

Did the beer mature during its time on the shelf? probably. Was it at all worse then something fresh? No. Did I enjoy it? Yes.

my advice shop around a lot of places sell beer for a lot cheaper once it is about a year old. Considering my lhbs asks about 50 cents a bottle for empties it made it seem a lot like free beer.

That's a good idea.

Sams Club or BJ's will have sam adams or others for cheap money.
Local bars will usually give you free beer and wine bottles, you just have to ask; some of them may say no, but most don't care. I got a lot of bottles this way when I started out.
Friends and family will save bottles for you if you ask them to.
Most of my bottles are sam adams because I threw a bachelor party and bought beer from BJ's which was Sam adams.

Every recycling center around here has been more than happy to sell me empties for 5 cents a bottle. I bottle almost all of mine in long neck 22s. Magic Hat, Guiness, Doc's Cider, all good choices. I scored a case of 12 24oz Heineken bottles last trip out. One bottle return place wanted 10 cents, but still, I cant complain about those numbers.
Sometimes I get lucky and get a few grolsch style bottles as well.

I scored 12 packs of Gordon Biersch for $4.99 last fall. Labels came off easy. Great bottles for comps- no markings or engravings. This was their summer series so the beer was not fresh by no means. But my BMC friends drank them right up.

My favorite bottles to reuse are Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas. The labels peel of easily after soaking in warm water for a couple minutes. I can get a 24-pack of Sierra Nevada beer for $22 at Costco. Or I can get a 24-pack of empties from my LHBS for $10. Apples to apples, I'd rather buy the case of SN a few weeks ahead of time and pay $12 for some Ruthless Rye!

Look to see if any of the premium lagers are pry off. Mich Original, Schlitz.

Bud American Ale still is, I think.

I can't help much because I generally buy Bells, Founders, Arcadia, and other Michigan craft beers, and I KNOW they aren't the cheapest!

Maybe hit up a Sams Club. Look to see who has the pry offs. I know that Meijer also carries a good selection of craft beer. Look for cases, because the larger the box the cheaper each bottle will be.

Same here but they are damn tasty. Well not really fan of those you listed but Shorts, ABC, and others.

I trade my bottles with friends Bells bottle or buy them outright. The Bell's labels just fall right off in water.

I've got 125 Grolsch 16oz. bottles that I got for 40 cents each. I just put an ad on Craiglist that I was looking for beer bottles.

Imperial its a Costa rica beer. Its 6 bucks a six pack labels come right off.

I just found a decent pub that has a great selection. After going there for awhile I gave some HB to the bartender. Did that a couple times, then asked about bottles. He said sure, they always saved the bombers for homebrewers. And since I kept bringing in new brews, when I later asked about regular 12 oz.ers, they said just let them know on a Thurs. Fri. or Sat. night, and they've always had plenty. I ended up giving away about 100 bombers after I realized I had way more than I needed.

Back