A Couple Questions on my First Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salanis

Reaction score
Inspired by Reinheirt Wild Ale, I decided to brew a light-to-moderately soured saison. I used a Wyeast Belgian yeast, and threw in Brettanomyces Bruxellensis just as the krausen began to fall. All figured it's had about 3 weeks and it seems ready to bottle.

First concern: when to bottle? I know the brett b will devour pretty much any sugars. Do I wait and let this attenuate down to 1.000 before bottling? I checked it a week ago and it was at 1.010. If I don't wait and bottle now, do I just use less priming sugar?

Second concern: contaminated equipment? What all equipment do I need to replace or convert to dedicated sour beer duty? I single stage fermented in a 6-gal better bottle carboy. I'm planning to use an auto-siphon, plastic bottling bucket, hose, and bottling wand. Will all of that need to be replaced? If not all, what is okay, presuming that I clean it immediately?

Inspired by Reinheirt Wild Ale, I decided to brew a light-to-moderately soured saison. I used a Wyeast Belgian yeast, and threw in Brettanomyces Bruxellensis just as the krausen began to fall. All figured it's had about 3 weeks and it seems ready to bottle.

First concern: when to bottle? I know the brett b will devour pretty much any sugars. Do I wait and let this attenuate down to 1.000 before bottling? I checked it a week ago and it was at 1.010. If I don't wait and bottle now, do I just use less priming sugar?

I did a lambic once and waited months, I think I first yeast for a week or 2, then racked and one of the Brett's for like 4 months. Depending on when you bottle will change the primary results- look at the yeast profile at the manufacture.

Second concern: contaminated equipment? What all equipment do I need to replace or convert to dedicated sour beer duty? I single stage fermented in a 6-gal better bottle carboy. I'm planning to use an auto-siphon, plastic bottling bucket, hose, and bottling wand. Will all of that need to be replaced? If not all, what is okay, presuming that I clean it immediately?

I still use the same equipment - just sanatize it all. Be sure to wash it of course and careful not to scratch, but I just washed, and sanatized like normal.

not sure the brett-b alone will sour a beer. it will funk it up for sure (yay!) but not turn it sour...

It won't sour it, but will give a nice funky flavor. Others' may have better information, but I think the over time (a year) the Brett will take it down about .003 (or 3 volumes of CO2). That's standard-high carbonation.

If you don't prime, the beer will be flat for several months, or more. If you prime, you risk bottle bombs if not consumed quickly, but then you will not get the Brett character.

I know it takes space, but best thing is to add the Brett and leave it for at least 6 months before bottling. More predictable, less risk.

I just got accepted to VLB in Berlin. In 6months, I'm going to be in Germany. I'm not planning to leave my beer closet sitting in storage while I'm away. Maybe I'll do a couple bottles without priming sugar to sit for the year while I'm gone.

And no, "sour" is not the word or goal I was going for. I was going for funky/wild, which the Brett B will provide.

Latest posts

Back