6 weeks in bottle and no carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
So I bottled my apfelwein 6 weeks ago.. I cracked open a bottle today.. and absolutely no carbination.

I put 1 cup ~ 8oz of priming sugar in before I bottled..

Im thinking one of the reasons might be that I racked to the secondary, then bottled, so there was no sediment what-so-ever. So could it be that since most of the yeast was gone, that it will take awhile?

At what temperature have you been storing the bottles? If it's an ale yeast, you'll typically need 65 degrees F or more in order for the yeast to function and carbonate the bottles.

I had it in the primary for a month.. secondary for 2 weeks.

Maybe since I have them on my floor, it is a little colder.. maybe around 60.

I'll try putting them up on a table or something.

I don't have much experience, but my first batch had problems carbonating. I moved the bottles to a warmer temperature and agitated them slightly.

(BTW - just for future info purposes, a cup of sugar does not equal 8 oz, at least the way we quote priming rates. It is actually closer to 5 oz.)

I had it in the primary for a month.. secondary for 2 weeks.

Maybe since I have them on my floor, it is a little colder.. maybe around 60.

I'll try putting them up on a table or something.

60 is a bit cool for most ale yeast. If you can put it somewhere that's closer to 70, you should have better luck carbonating.

I wouldn't worry about the long primary and secondary. There should still be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate if it's at the proper temperature.

(BTW - just for future info purposes, a cup of sugar does not equal 8 oz, at least the way we quote priming rates. It is actually closer to 5 oz.)

Wait, when it comes to priming sugar (corn sugar) are we talking about ounces in terms of volume or weight? Cause 1 cup is most definitely 8 oz in terms of volume.

Wait, when it comes to priming sugar (corn sugar) are we talking about ounces in terms of volume or weight? Cause 1 cup is most definitely 8 oz in terms of volume.

Beer ingredients are referred to by weight not volume.

Beer ingredients are referred to by weight not volume.

So, based on a previous post, which 1c = 5oz (corn sugar by weight), if I want 8oz, I need to add 1-2/3c?

That is good to know, I assumed 8oz was volume, not weight. I was using less priming sugar than I shhould have. :drunk:

Thanks! :mug:

So, based on a previous post, which 1c = 5oz (corn sugar by weight), if I want 8oz, I need to add 1-2/3c?

That is good to know, I assumed 8oz was volume, not weight. I was using less priming sugar than I shhould have. :drunk:

Thanks! :mug:

No, (EDIT: actually, sort of. I think I might have misread your post initially) Really you should get a kitchen scale and measure out the correct amount by weight. Volume is a very inaccurate measurement method.

I've actually never seen a recipe call for 8 oz by weight of priming sugar. The most I've ever seen beersmith or something similar recommend is 5.5 oz. On a five gallon batch that is. Usually it calls for between 4.25 and 4.75 oz.

I prime my Apfelwein with 4.75 oz for 5 gallons and it gives me a very nice carbonation.

Back