Fat Tire results/observations--need input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
So I have been drinking my Fat Tire clone for about a month now, and while I am reasonably happy with it, I am not fully satisfied. The only catch is, I do not have the real thing to do a side by side comparison, so I am only going by memory as to what is missing.

Here's my recipe for five gallons all-grain :

6 lbs belgian pale malt
.5 crystal 20
.5 crystal 40
.5 carapils
.5 Munich malt
.5 bisquit
.5 chocolate
1 oz willamette 4.9% 60 minutes
.3 oz Willammette 15
.3 oz Willamette 5

california ale yeast
OG 1.050
FG 1.009

For starters, I think I'd bump the grain bill up to 10 lbs and try to get a little more malt flavor, maybe by adding a pound of munich or vienna...not really sure. I think it could have use a teeny bit more hops as well. The other thing is, the california ale yeast is almost too clean. I recall Fat tire has a slight aftertaste to its finish that I associate with may be a different yeast. Thing is, I read an article with the brewer where he sugested using a clean yeast like the Chico yeast.

I think the bisquit flavor is just about right. What would more chocolate do to the flavor? I odn't think the color is perfect either, I think this is darker than FT which is dark but has a hint of amber/red in it (could be wrong there though).

I think it is good for my first attempt at this particular style, but it could be better. This appears to be one of the more popular styles on this board from what I can tell so I'd love some suggestions/input/etc.

What say you? :mug:

jeffg said:
I recall Fat tire has a slight aftertaste to its finish that I associate with may be a different yeast. Thing is, I read an article with the brewer where he sugested using a clean yeast like the Chico yeast.

I think the bisquit flavor is just about right. What would more chocolate do to the flavor?
I keep hearing references to that quote, and I know the vast majority of the clone recipes I've seen use Chico, but I'm still not convinced. I used Belgian Abbey (WLP530) in my clone, and it tastes a lot like Fat Tire, tho it still doesn't have the slight touch of pepper that the real thing does. As for the bisquit...I used 3 oz of bisquit and 4 oz of belgian aromatic...it's pretty close, but I might cut back a little on the aromatic next time. My LHBS guy told me that they had tried Chocolate malt in their Fat Tire clones but were never happy with it

You know, the more I think about it the more I think that the chocolate probably does not belong in this recipe. It's too dark and the flavor is wrong. I looked at the picture on their website and it is a nice rich mahagony amber. I suspect the way to go is to add a heavier lovibond crystal/carmel malt, like 70-80, which will add some malty-sweetness. I like the idea of aromatic too.

I probably need a second hop variety....

Just curious . . . what is the "style" of Fat Tire? I've never had the opportunity to enjoy it. I hear so much about it, though. Obviously a belgian style, but . . . :confused:

sonvolt said:
Just curious . . . what is the "style" of Fat Tire?
Beer Captured calls it a Belgian Pale Ale (16B), tho most will tell you that's it's not Belgian at all...I've personally have come to the conclusion that a Belgian Pale Ale isn't Belgian, which puts my tiny little beer universe back in order. ;)

jeffg said:
So I have been drinking my Fat Tire clone for about a month now, and while I am reasonably happy with it, I am not fully satisfied. The only catch is, I do not have the real thing to do a side by side comparison, so I am only going by memory as to what is missing.

Here's my recipe for five gallons all-grain :

6 lbs belgian pale malt
.5 crystal 20
.5 crystal 40
.5 carapils
.5 Munich malt
.5 bisquit
.5 chocolate
1 oz willamette 4.9% 60 minutes
.3 oz Willammette 15
.3 oz Willamette 5

california ale yeast
OG 1.050
FG 1.009

For starters, I think I'd bump the grain bill up to 10 lbs and try to get a little more malt flavor, maybe by adding a pound of munich or vienna...not really sure. I think it could have use a teeny bit more hops as well. The other thing is, the california ale yeast is almost too clean. I recall Fat tire has a slight aftertaste to its finish that I associate with may be a different yeast. Thing is, I read an article with the brewer where he sugested using a clean yeast like the Chico yeast.

I think the bisquit flavor is just about right. What would more chocolate do to the flavor? I odn't think the color is perfect either, I think this is darker than FT which is dark but has a hint of amber/red in it (could be wrong there though).

I think it is good for my first attempt at this particular style, but it could be better. This appears to be one of the more popular styles on this board from what I can tell so I'd love some suggestions/input/etc.

What say you? :mug:

I'm brewing that recipe this weekend. I ran into a guy at the LHBS that said that he tried to clone it and it ended up tasting horrible. He used a different recipe but I was still discouraged. I'm glad to hear you had at least decent results.

Oh it's very drinkable and no one I have shared it with has disliked it, it's just not what it should be. If you are using the same recipe I did more or less I'd substitute some crystal 70 or 80 for the chocolate, maybe add some aromatic and maybe bump up the munich a little more. what hops are you planning on?

Austin Homebrew has a fat tire clone I've brewed, I can look for recipe.

It is an american amber btw :)

jeffg said:
Oh it's very drinkable and no one I have shared it with has disliked it, it's just not what it should be. If you are using the same recipe I did more or less I'd substitute some crystal 70 or 80 for the chocolate, maybe add some aromatic and maybe bump up the munich a little more. what hops are you planning on?
Willamette and fuggles. Unfortunately, my grains are already milled and mixed together. I guess I just add some Crystal and leave the chocolate.

I just kegged the BYO AG fat tire clone. I really wish I would have used 2 oz. of chocolate instead of 8 like the recipe calls for. It's a bit overbearing, still after 2 months of aging. We'll see what it's like carbonated, but I don't think it'll be much different.

:fro:

Back