Home Depot/Igloo Drink Cooler Closeout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookiebaggs

Reaction score
I just wanted to give a heads up on this.

Apparently Home Depot is changing suppliers of their drink coolers from Igloo to Rubbermaid. As a result, they are clearing out the remaining inventory of Igloo drink coolers.

Around here, the 5 gallon drink coolers are on clearance at $7.20 and the 10 gallon drink coolers (if you can find them) are on clearance for $16!

I'm in SE Wisconsin but I would think this would be true for all Home Depots.

If you are interested, perhaps a phone call to to your local HD to check if they are on clearance and the availability, might me a wise move.

Cookiebaggs said:
I just wanted to give a heads up on this.

Apparently Home Depot is changing suppliers of their drink coolers from Igloo to Rubbermaid. As a result, they are clearing out the remaining inventory of Igloo drink coolers.

Around here, the 5 gallon drink coolers are on clearance at $7.20 and the 10 gallon drink coolers (if you can find them) are on clearance for $16!

I'm in SE Wisconsin but I would think this would be true for all Home Depots.

If you are interested, perhaps a phone call to to your local HD to check if they are on clearance and the availability, might me a wise move.

Out here in Northern California, just went by HD and got 2 x 10 gallon igloo version for $16 each....great deal. Off to order the other parts!

Sigh... I called my local HD, they tried to transfer me to plumbing (twice), spent 10-15 mins on hold, and finally got the idea across that I was talking about insulated igloo coolers, not office water coolers, and they didn't seem to think that they carried them in the winter around here.

Not too surprised, as I've never noticed them for sale there before regardless of season (though I haven't looked too hard either), but still... Bummer.

ahh.. you guys got my hopes up.. Apparently, it is a regional thing. In the Kansas City area, they have been selling the Rubbermaids for about three years now. They don't even carry 10 gal versions.

I smell a picnic tap in my future...
PicSingleTap.jpg

Dang, I just ran by HD in Concord, California. No dice on the cooler sale. They had both 5 and 10 gallon versions, but at $20 and $40, respectively.

nboblitt, if you're still reading this thread, which HD were you at? I know Nor Cal is a big place, but I'm in the market for a mash tun, and this is a killer deal if it pans out.

Thanks,

Q.

Well I'm glad one person was able to snag a deal. :)

It must be a regional thing or in limited stores that still had leftover stock. I guess it's best to call first and save a trip. (provided you can get someone who knows what the hell you're talking about!) :D

My HD had the 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers but had the Igloo 5 gallon ones. The Igloo's were pretty dusty so I imagine that they have had them for awhile.

Nothing here in Northern Lower Michigan! (Might have something to do with the fact that they dont' sell "coolers" when it's -15 Degrees outside, before wind chill). At least they didn't show any online.

nothing in the cherry hill, nj, HD either. in fact i only found 1 forlorn looking cooler in the whole place in the deserted outdoor sectioin. it was filthy with no price tag. looks like they just don't stock coolers in winter.

dicks sporting goods next door had a 36qt coleman extreme. as i'm building for 5gallon AG batches just now (I know - always with the short term thinking) it seems like that will suit me for all but the biggest beers. it's one of those 5-day ones too, and while i know they are designed to hold ice rather than heat, i'm expectiing it to perform well.

anyone have any luck with the OP's offer in NJ? it's snowing today i don't fancy running out to any of the other local HDs unless i can get a fix on one of these bargains!

cd2448 said:
anyone have any luck with the OP's offer in NJ? it's snowing today i don't fancy running out to any of the other local HDs unless i can get a fix on one of these bargains!

Nope, I just checked 2 local HDs :(

cd2448 said:
nothing in the cherry hill, nj, HD either. in fact i only found 1 forlorn looking cooler in the whole place in the deserted outdoor sectioin. it was filthy with no price tag. looks like they just don't stock coolers in winter.

dicks sporting goods next door had a 36qt coleman extreme. as i'm building for 5gallon AG batches just now (I know - always with the short term thinking) it seems like that will suit me for all but the biggest beers. it's one of those 5-day ones too, and while i know they are designed to hold ice rather than heat, i'm expectiing it to perform well.

Last time I was in the one in Lawnside they only had the Rubbermaid, I don't remember seeing any Igloo. Then again, I wasn't looking for a cooler.

No Dice in St Louis either. Its a seasonal product in our area and they will not have anymore until spring.

It blows my mind that people will spend that kind of cash on a cooler unless you are really stuck on having a round one. I went to the local thrift store and in the back room they had 20 to choose from, all great condition and all five bucks. Hit them while it is still the off season. Picked up a nice red 10 gal coleman with 5/8 hole so my hardware fit just fine.
-ander

My lasy MLT was a rectangular cooler and was very old. Im going to lean towards a round cooler so it may be easier to avoid hot and cold spots.

Another alternative, if you need to get away from a rectangular cooler and want to do it on the cheap, is the 50-qt Igloo Ice Cube for $19.99 at Target.

When you go to check on them, look high, real high up....

I went to my local HD. They said they don't have them. I was in the lawn & garden area and looked up at the top racks and saw a whole skid of them.

They were really close to the ceiling, about 4-5 shelves up all wrapped in shrink wrap.

They consider these a seasonal items in Iowa.

What section of HD are you finding them in normally? My local ones claim to not have any, but I want to do some scouting myself in the right department.

Sluggo said:
What section of HD are you finding them in normally? My local ones claim to not have any, but I want to do some scouting myself in the right department.

Look in the lawn & garden area.

I was laughed at today when I asked about them. I might try again tomorrow and look on the top shelfs. F^ckers.

I picked 2 up last night. They had a whole skid of them shrinkwraped sitting out in the snow in lawn & Garden. This was the Home Depot in Newburgh NY . They also had a skid of 5 Gallon.

I also picked up 3 Bayou Classic 10 PSI high pressure LPG regulator with stainless steel hose for 5 bucks each.:)

I was able to pick 2 up today at the HD in Hempstead, Long Island. They had 3 or 4 left for those of you who can make the trip.

5 Is Not Enough said:
Our HD has a full skid wrapped up 5 shelves up, but no discounts being offered.

The ones I bought didnt say anything about being on clearance. In fact they had the 39.90 stickers on them I just took one to the front and asked to scan it sure enough they were 16 $ .

Score!

I went to the depot to get a turkey fryer for $37. The sale signs for those were down and they were marked full price ($50), but fortunately it rang up at the sale price. Thanks to this thread, I knew to look for these. They were marked at ~$40, but I scanned one, and sure enough it was $16 for the 10gal igloo! Thanks OP!

BTW, I found them near the contractors' checkout. Also, be warned that there were two 10gal igloo models, a "heavy duty" and a "seat top" which I believe had different SKU's. Mine was heavy duty and didn't include the cup dispenser; I didn't check the price on the seat top, so only the one may be on clearance. The rubbermaids were not on clearance.

So now I'm unexpectedly 1 step closer to AG. I gotta think about the logistics -- it may be within reach already!

Asked around at our local Home Despot and the fat a** service lady wouldn't even check on the computer to see if they had some in the garden center.

"Nope, that's a seasonal item."

But could you check to see if you have any in-stock?

"Sir, that's a seasonal Item. We don't sell that in the winter."

Driving to a different HD this weekend for new cabinets on a remodel we're doing. I'll ask there.

Back