Fringe benefits of your job

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-love

Reaction score
I spend a lot (too much) of my free time on HBT, and I enjoy reading about what people are into outside of brewing. Some of you guys and gals have pretty cool jobs. There are people that have access to really cool equipment or even coworkers with expertise in interesting fields.

So, I started thinking, what are some of the things you consider to be fringe benefits of your job. They could be explicitly offered to you, or just an implied benefit. They don't necessarily have to be brewing related.

Please post up some of the things that you like the most about your job separate from your salary, actual job duties, etc. I'd like to keep this positive. In other words, please don't start complaining about whether people should or should not have these benefits. This isn't a debate. It's just a way to share the neat things that we encounter through our work.

Mine is this: I'm a teacher at a Technical High School. Today we got about 5 inches of snow and schools are closed. So, I am sitting on my couch, drinking coffee and watching robots with my little boy. I'll use the day to play in the garage and work on my brew rig that I am just starting to build. Also, since I work in at a "Tech High," I have access to a master electrician, an auto repair guy, an engineer, nurses, a print shop, etc. I really dig having those guys to bounce ideas off when I want to.

28 days personal and vacation time for the year
9 paid holidays
22% off cell phone service
Vested employer accumulating pension
Vested 401k with matching employer contributions
$2000 bonus if we bring in a new high level employee
100% paid college classes if it pertains to furthering our career
I get to play on the internet
Sometimes, we get free breakfast or lunch
I can use the company UPS account to ship beer
Free boxes and stuffing material to pack the beer

Everything else about it sucks though ;) Trust me, the bad outweighs the good. I've become too comfortable to look for another job... But I should!!

I do very little and get to read this website during the day and get paid a bucket-load of money!

After 5 years my pension is mine. No one can touch it. I don't have to contribute anything to it. When I retire it will give me $8,000 a month. Thinking of changing fields and getting another pension. Retirement looks awesome for me.

Eye & DPB,

Care to give your occupations? You don't have to specifically name an employer.

Seven Nights on and seven nights off.
Four weeks vacation.
No bosses around!!!
And like Brewmcq ... when I'm having a busy night, someone else is having a REALLY bad night! (hospital)

My company operates in a Results Only Work Environment (ROWE), which means that it doesn't matter where or when I work, as long as I'm getting my work done and meeting my results.

This means I can brew beer during the week while the wife and kids are out, while still technically "working."

I'm switching careers from being a Methodist preacher (a surprisingly stressful and time consuming job- think 60-85 hours a week, 51 weeks a year if you get assigned to a struggling church) to becoming a public school teacher.

My wife teaches, and I'm subbing now and its going to be a tough job for just OK pay- but you work 186 days a year plus some continuing ed (a week or so) in the summer. Lots of time off, great hours, and you get to see your kids grow up (something I was missing out on in ministry.)

I'm pretty happy about the change.

36 days personal and vacation time for the year
11 paid holidays
free cell phone service
Vested 403(b) with 12% employer contributions
fantastic health care. They cover 90%
Tuition grants for my kid at *any* degree granting institution in the country.

And I get my brain expanded daily by being able to chit-chat with some seriously smart research scientists.

I work a alternating three week schedule. The three weeks off at a time make it easy to brew and plan other activities. The actual job blows!!!

I work at a smoked seafood company so I get to eat smoked salmon everyday for lunch.
it is great perk for the first year or two

Any time one of our cheeses comes in damaged or goes out of date I get to try some. Plus there's stock options, 2 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick pay, 50% 401k matching up to a certain amount per check, paid holidays, prescription discounts, tuition reimbursement, phone plan discounts, etc. Too bad I'm leaving in a month to get a job in my field

I used to run a project that had pilot sites across the country. I had no control over selecting the sites, but did have some influence on the travel schedule.

I can't believe my luck, it was uncanny! Seems like wherever I was, I had tickets for something.

Duke at UNC
Giants at Cubs (Bonds sat it out:mad:)
MNF Bucs home opener vs Bears
Phillies last game at the Vet (Mets?)
Dodgers at Padres
Behind home plate watching Clemens pitch spring training sitting next to Ronde Barber, just back of Peter Gammons.
Lakers at Jazz

Im a deli clerk so i cant really think of anything thats a perk, unless you count getting yelled at because some ahole's sandwich meat is cut to a hair to thick

Haha Glynn!! Well you guys do always cut it a bit on the thick side if we don't specifically tell you to cut it thin. I used to work in a deli as a teenager so I know it can be done without shredding the meat. You just gotta put some muscle into it! The way I avoided people bickering about this is to give them a sample and ask if that was okay before proceeding.

Btw, your perk would not be sitting at a desk 8 hours a day.

My company operates in a Results Only Work Environment (ROWE)

Awesome! I've never heard of that term specifically, but there is a lot to be said for being able to complete your assignments as you see fit as long as they are done correctly and timely.

I manage a truck and equipment business. When we get oddball packages in I can sometimes snag some sweet equipment really cheap. I got a Lincoln Powermig 255 for $150 a few months back. I also can throw my dealer plate on any truck I want to drive so I can keep the miles off my personal truck. My company covers all of my expenses when I'm traveling to look at equipment, been all over the country. I have freedom to use our equipment and trailers as needed.

A lot of items listed above are not fringe benefits but actual benefits.

I used to work in a Research and Development center. I had unlimited access to any metal I wanted, tools, welders, mills, lathes, metal brakes, and hardware. It was a dream. Left for a higher salary advancing my career but I loved having access to those tools then.

Current position would be ability to come and go when I please to an extent. I get to see new technology in my field when it comes out and is introduced, and access to a lot of computer programs.

The fact I love what I do and the people I work with are all awesome is great as well.

Food service industry: I can haul off a ton of ice whenever I need it. Makes for quick cooling times on the brew day.

Yep, that's about it. I get to eat smoked salmon whenever I want, too, I suppose. Mmm.

I work in the inner harbor and I have a full-time parking pass for our private lot, so (if I actually wanted to be here on my days off) I could walk around the harbor and not have to pay for downtown city parking

Also, I work with kids. I get to climb on a jungle gym any time I want and call it "research"

Awesome! I've never heard of that term specifically, but there is a lot to be said for being able to complete your assignments as you see fit as long as they are done correctly and timely.

It's awesome. You technically get unlimited vacation/sick time because you don't really keep track of hours. We transitioned almost two years ago, and it's been a life-changer. There are tons of ripple effects like we don't have to pay for before and after care for our daughter because I can be home to get her on the bus and when she gets home. Two summers ago, I worked from my family's place on Lake Erie for a month. We're a nonprofit, so I don't get paid that much, but stuff like this makes it very hard to leave.

HS Biology Teacher -

-Summers off, weekends and holidays for brewing
-Get to check HBT during free period and lunch:)
-Get to teach students about yeast, respiration and alcoholic fermentation
*** I even do a lab with my College Credit students where we use the mashing process to discuss enzymes, starch conversion and the effects of temperature on the process - Makes the lower level of the school smell like "brewing." Hopefully tour a brewery next year - one will be finished in our area.

my organization throws several events each week, and the catering staff bring the untouched left-overs to the lunch room... so i have free (and tasty!) lunch provided for me 2-3 times a week. sometimes there is so much i can bring some home, so SWMBO and i get a night off from cooking.

i have to travel to NYC about once a month, on days of my choosing, so i can line that up with a concert, tap take-over, exhibition, etc.

i have my own office and my supervisor is in another city so as long as i get my work done, i can spend a lot of time on HBT :rockin:

Well I do not work. But the wife is getting tired of seeing my mug all day so I guess we are starting a LHBS. Hehe get to brew and drink at work

half_whit said:
I work in the inner harbor and I have a full-time parking pass for our private lot, so (if I actually wanted to be here on my days off) I could walk around the harbor and not have to pay for downtown city parking

Also, I work with kids. I get to climb on a jungle gym any time I want and call it "research"

I work at a hotel right in the inner harbor. I pay for my pass but it does come in handy when going out DT. As a hotel employee I can travel pretty cheap which is nice. I went to a gorgeous resort in Phuket Thailand for $84 a night. Anyone else would be paying $300+.

I work on the eastern coast of Lake Michigan. Right on the beach. I love looking out over the water around sunset. Especially when I've had a stressful day. That is the best perk about my job.

Im a deli clerk so i cant really think of anything thats a perk, unless you count getting yelled at because some ahole's sandwich meat is cut to a hair to thick

I've never had my sandwich meat or cheese sliced wrong. And I do like it thin. It was a deli counter that turned me onto that.

We get food a lot at work. Lunch meetings. Snacks at meetings. One of us brings in food. Food just shows up.

I get all the live red worms and water fleas my fish tank can eat. Tetras love those things.

Plenty minnows for fish bait too.

I'd tell yall about the little odds and ends scrap material that comes in handy, but that never happens. ;)

I work in a QC lab at a company that makes flavors and fragrances. The best part is that I get to play with analytical equipment like GCs. I don't have to sit at my desk much and I get to smell wonderful things all day.

I work in a aftermarket dirt bike company designing oversized gas tanks for dirt bikes. Get all kinds of cool motorcycle stuff for free or incredibly cheap us one of the guys I work with is a ace mechanic and does work on my bike or gives me advice for free so that is awesome. Changing careers to get back into teaching. I worked as a private Christian school teacher for 6 years thought changing careers would be fun but I like teaching more so getting my credentials.

hey G-Love I taught at our tech as well. Good times but the pay sucked. I run my own show and I guess in response to your first question is that I have alot of freaking tools to play with for brewing. I also have just about as much oak and other hardwoods i can use for conditioning. Even given coopering a thought or two. Other than that nope no perks just work, but thats what I get paid for. Oh and people think Im busy when I check HBT, kinda a good "sorry I have to respond to this" moment

I manage a truck and equipment business. When we get oddball packages in I can sometimes snag some sweet equipment really cheap. I got a Lincoln Powermig 255 for $150 a few months back. I also can throw my dealer plate on any truck I want to drive so I can keep the miles off my personal truck. My company covers all of my expenses when I'm traveling to look at equipment, been all over the country. I have freedom to use our equipment and trailers as needed.

yea cause i think I dropped $550 on that bad boy

I started my own internet company seven years ago. About a year ago, I quit my office job and am 100% self-employed.

The nature of the work is that you can work as much or as little as you want and working a lot will reap continued benefits. As such, I work when I want and I play games with my kids, brew beer, play golf, etc. when I want. If any of you all are thinking about trying to pull the trigger and go self-employed I say go for it. It is a TON of work, but the freedom is definitely worth it.

I work at a bar that specializes in craft beers. I get to try samples of all kinds of beers trying to get us to carry their beer, plus I get sweet beer swag.

My boss lets me brew in the kitchen with his 20 gallon pot and 300,000 btu gas burner... Blichmann what???? phhtt

The best part though is the free 5 gallon clear foodsafe hdpe containers that our fryer oil comes in. They make great fermentors or no-chill containers.

On top of this, I work 3 days a week. That leaves a lot of family and brewing time for me!

This all almost outweighs the lack of healthcare and other benifits.

Guess someone has to be the first. I'm what a ton of people consider a "white trash" mechanic. What they don't realize is, I'm actually putting myself through school to get my degree in Electronics Engineering. I'm not the dirty guy under the hood. I do all the computer stuff. ABS, A/C, body and power train controls.

I get guys to work on my old cars, (the dirty stuff) for basically free. They have no idea how easy it is to reprogram or flash a PCM. They think I have magic powers. I also get free, or close to, body work, so I go through a ton of cars. Buy them, fix them, sell them. Usually, I just get asked somewhere if it's for sale, don't even have to advertise. (Usually at work)

Extremely cheap auto parts.
Use the brake lathe (for all kinds of odd stuff)
Paid by the job, so if I don't feel like working hard, I don't have to.
Free towing

That's about it. Soon, all that will be behind me! Can't wait to switch careers. Been on disability for 6 months due to a work injury, it sucks! One surgery down, recovery and physical therapy, now it looks like another one is happening soon too.

Back