Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a thread I started about growing hops in florida. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/florida-hops-experiment-385584/
There is also a well travelled thread about growing in Key West. The answer is definitely yes, but some do grow better than others. The common answer is any that start with a C seem to fare well but I've seen plenty of people successfully grow all different kinds.

Being rather weed-y, I would assume they can grow just about anywhere. That said, I have read several sources claiming that they do best in lattitudes between 35-50 (which happens to be where I am located). The reasoning these sources give is that the plants go dormant during the cold season and it seems that this dormancy, followed by regrowth, seems to trigger cone growth.

tjpfeister said:
Being rather weed-y, I would assume they can grow just about anywhere. That said, I have read several sources claiming that they do best in lattitudes between 35-50 (which happens to be where I am located). The reasoning these sources give is that the plants go dormant during the cold season and it seems that this dormancy, followed by regrowth, seems to trigger cone growth.

You can simulate this effect by digging the rhizomes up and storing them in the refrigerator over the "winter".

Latest posts

Back