Wanted: This One Goes to 11 Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murppie

Reaction score
I would seriously give up my first-born child for a recipe. People who have tried it know what I'm talking about.

Well... seems its going to be quite a hard beer to clone - considering pretty much all the hop variaties listed are very hard to get. From their site (always a good place to start):
This One Goes to 11 Ale opens with bright, juicy aromas such as tropical fruits & ripe cherries, largely derived from massive kettle & dry-hop additions of Southern Hemisphere hop varieties such as Galaxy, Motueka, and Summer. The citrus & resinous pine notes of the Pacific Northwest hop family are also well represented, making their presence known through Simcoe, Citra, and the newly released Mosaic varietal, just to name a few. A wide range of specialty malts anchor the hops in this Imperial Red Ale, contrasting the assertive bitterness & juicy aromatics with a robust, toasty depth of flavor. Fermented with Bell’s signature house ale yeast, This One Goes to 11 Ale finishes with a lingering warmth.

Alcohol by Volume: 11%
Original Gravity: 23.5

Which means 1.100 -> 1.016. This leads me to think there pretty much HAS to be a simple sugar addition to get such a high attenuation.

At least it's a start...

That's going to be tough. They listed 6 hop varieties, and from the sounds of it, there are more ("just to name a few"). Also, the oh-so-specific, "wide range of specialty malts" comment gives you absolutely no help. At least they say it's the house yeast, which is easy to harvest from bottles of their pale ale.

I'd shoot for a red ale recipe, scale it to 11%, and do a bunch of crazy hop combinations. Might not even be close, but without getting more info, that's the best you can hope for!

i had a bottle of this one goes to 11 a few weeks ago. doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to get at least close. there are definitely some hops in the taste, but nothing that seemed super unique. to me it seemed like a malt forward beer, and a not super complex one. I don't know too much about recipe formulation, but i think maybe 2-row, some caramel, maybe some special B and then corn sugar. could be way off, but to my taste buds it didn't seem like something that would be insanely hard to come close with a recipe. getting yeast to work that hard i would think would be the challenge.

I realized the other night that this tastes awfully similar to Lagunitas Lucky 13. You could look for a clone of that and just scale it up to 11%. It'd be close!

I too had a similar offer from a coworker. Completely bummed I didn't buy some when I was at Bells. Apparently they still have some kegs around, it would be nice if they would make some more.

Back