British Brown Ale Poke the Bear Southern English Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast London ESB Ale (1968)
Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 62
Tasting Notes
Sweet, strongly malty, and only a slight graham cracker flavor.
53% 5# 4oz Marris Otter (Crisp)
18% 1# 13oz Graham Crackers
8% 12oz Victory Malt
6% 10oz Crystal 40L
6% 10oz Crystal 60L
5% 8oz Crystal 80L
4% 6oz Pale Chocolate Malt
60 mins 0.75 East Kent Goldings pellet 5.0 AA
5 min 1 ea Cinnamon Sticks info
5 min 1 ea Whirlfloc Tablet

Mash at 154 for 60 mins

This style seems to be one that is very difficult to find commercial examples of here in the States. Trying to brew to style based solely on BJCP guidelines has proven to be somewhat difficult. The use of graham crackers in this beer is obviously less than traditional but we were quite pleased with the results. Fortunately we should be able to enter this into a specialt category as well. This beer is fantastic sitting by the fire or watching football here during the frigid FLA winters... Any feedback or questions are much appreciated. Hopefully some of you have an opportunity to brew up this one!

That sounds fantastic! You don't see too many southern browns. Love the name, too.

If you have a Total Wine in your town you can probably find a couple examples.

Reno- Do you have any examples of commercial Southern Browns that we may be able to find locally? The only one listed on the BJCP site is Mann's and apparently thats not available in the States.

Cinnamon graham cracker beer, Yes Please!!

Are the graham crackers added to the secondary or mashed with the other grains. I'm inclined to think they need to be added to the secondary. This is gonna make a great winter brew

I'd also like to know if the graham crackers were mashed or put in the secondary. I was thinking of making a Southern English Brown with graham crackers so any advice would be appreciated.

Great looking recipe. Did you end up entering it into any competitions?

Using Slim's Graham Cracker Ale 2.0 as a comparison I'm gonna add the graham crackers to the mash.
This beer is still 2 away in my pipeline but I will definitely post back on how it turns out

Brewed this one up on 9-8-13 (moved it up in the pipeline).

Used OP's recipe only changing the yeast to Wyeast 1335 adding the graham crackers grains in mash tun.

Kegged on 9-27-13.

Tasted on 9-10-13 and wasn't impressed. I could not taste the cinnamon at all, and I thought the grain base with graham crackers confused my tastebuds. After reviewing my brew day notes in desperation I decided to add 2 cinnamon sticks to the keg.

10 days later......WOW, SWMBO says that this is the best beer she thinks I've ever made.
The cinnamon really took off and now the beer tastes VERY close to actually eating cinnamon graham crackers.

Adding the cinnamon sticks to the keg really made the difference to this beer. When I make it again I will definitely add cinnamon sticks to the keg again.

Just curious if you used American 40L, 60L, 80L or the sort of equivalent English medium and English dark. Supposedly there is a stronger biscuit flavor to the English grains that may impart more graham cracker like flavor. I'm planning to try this myself in a week or too and tracking down ingredients.

I used crystal 40l, 60l and subbed 75l for the 80l. Maybe next brew I will try to reduce the number of grains in this to minimize palate confusion (combine all crystal's to 12% 60l ??? ).

Yeah I was considering splitting the crystal between English medium 40-50l and English dark 70-80l.

Back