Shaving Blows

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShakerD

Reaction score
So I want to buy an electric shaver so I shave more often.

I don't know the first thing about them. Any must have features?

Cordless, but I guess they all are now adays. I like the rotary head ones, but I've used others and they are OK too.

Pretty sure you'll see the straight razor crowd show up soon :)

Yeah I'm not qualified enough to answer. I shave 2 times a week at the most.

Why does shaving blow?

For me it's to do with Razor Burn. An electric will only make that MUCH worse.

My bro in law told me the opposite but I was thinking along the same lines as you.

I figured I would give it a try?

ever considered shaving with an old school razor? makes shaving way funner IMHO. tons of them on ebay. and many forums with people like us, except into shaving, abound to learn more about it if interested.

My bro in law told me the opposite but I was thinking along the same lines as you.

I figured I would give it a try?

I was told the same. Bought an electric, the pre-shave liquid, the after shave, and my skin is on fire the day after and by day two you could find constellations among the bumps.

I shave occasionally for my wife and for formal occasions. Otherwise I just trim with a beard trimmer and rock a shadow.

I've had to shave for work ever since I was 19. Being Italian and Armenian certainly doesn't help.

I shave with a 5 blade razor on the first day of my workweek, then use a Norelco electric razor the rest of the days. DO NOT try to save money on an electric razor. Get a quality razor and not only will shaving be easier and less painful, but it will last for a long time before you have to replace it.

I tried the straight razor thing, but it was too slow. If you have the time though, nothing beats a good straight razor shave after you soften your skin up with a hot towel.

The Braun 7 series are really good, a little pricey but worth it, IMO. I'm Italian, and I think I started shaving when I was 13, I have a 5 O'clock shadow by 10 am. Anyway, like shaving with razors if you are just going to switch to an electric it will take you a couple days to a week to get used to it. The Braun has the little stand that holds the containers of cleaning solution and gives the razor a good cleaning after use. The battery is also pretty good, after 3 years of daily use I could still take mine on a week long trip and not worry about running out of battery. Blades last a good while too.

I was looking at the braun 7 and the 5 as well.

I have a really sensitive face and am prone to ingrown hairs from shaving. Is there a electric that is better for sensitivity?

After just reading the other thread I am tempted to order a DE razor on Ebay but I am kind of scared of them.

Try wet shaving. Check out the badger and blade forum, lots of good info. I used to hate shaving, now it is an enjoyable morning ritual, and my skin isn't always irritated and red.

Try wet shaving. Check out the badger and blade forum, lots of good info. I used to hate shaving, now it is an enjoyable morning ritual, and my skin isn't always irritated and red.

Came here to post this. Tried shaving with a straight razor after this past Christmas. Will never go back. Have a closer shave, and my face has never had this little irritation in my life.

I took up wet shaving after reading the above thread about saving money, I haven't looked back! Best shave I have ever had, and it was with an 80 year old razor!

What blows is being treated like a criminal every time I need to buy blades. They have those things locked down like they are crack and I'm a junkie needing a fix. Maybe if they didn't price 30 cents of plastic and steel at $15 people wouldn't steel them.

Get one with a decent trimmer. Phillishave ok. Because if you lazy & let beard grow a bit you'll never get it off w electric and if trimmer is rubbish you'll look like you have mange.

I buy my blades online for 7 cents per blade shipped in bulk, I can also get a 10 pack for under $2 at Wally mart, not even locked up!

I was going to tell you to not go cheap, but you mentioned the $250 Braun Series 7.... so, nevermind. I do fine spending about $100 on a shaver. Thumbs down on anything that is "lift and cut".

I second wet shaving. I went through the same cycle as you are going through, crappy Gillette razors with ingrown hair and irritation to an electric. The electric got rid of the irritation factor but no matter how hard I tried it shaved no where near as close as a razor. I shaved with the electric for a couple years and finally got sick of the lack of closeness and was ready to give the 5 blade monstrosities a try when I got turned on to wet shaving with a DE safety razor and a brush. I get close irritation free shaves almost all the time and you know what else? Replacement blades cost like $0.15/blade as opposed to $5/blade for the 5 blade crap...

If you're interested in reading a bit more about wets having go here: www.badgerandblade.com. These guys are as geeked on shaving as we are on beer and brewing...

I was looking at the braun 7 and the 5 as well.

I have a really sensitive face and am prone to ingrown hairs from shaving. Is there a electric that is better for sensitivity?

After just reading the other thread I am tempted to order a DE razor on Ebay but I am kind of scared of them.

I have the same problems. I use a Braun 5 that I got about 7 years ago and still like it. I have been the gamut with razors both electric and blade (even tried my fathers straight blade when I was younger) and this is the first one I hope never dies, but when it does I will definitely stay with Braun and will probably upgrade to the 7 series.

I've been using the Gillette Fusion setup since it came out... I do wet my face and use good shaving gel too (so that my face doesn't get F'd up any more than genetics already did)... I don't hate shaving, it's more a matter of having a lot more to shave (above the collar)... Since I'm also shaving my cranium, it means I go through blades faster. I do shave less often, only two MAYBE three times a week. I will say, I can really tell when the blades are not up to par. I had a full pack that felt like the blades had serrated teeth on them. Almost gave up on the model after that.

I've been thinking about going the electric route too. My main concern is with what I need to shave. How will it do for the entire dome? How about above the ears? I do have a goatee (so that people can tell me apart from my 'good twin') but that doesn't really reduce how much I shave...

I don't see the straight razor route being a viable option for me... Well, unless I get someone to shave the back of my head for me that is...

So, is there a reasonably priced electric shaver that can handle the amount of territory that it would need to cover on me? :D

I have a beard, but just use a hair trimmer to keep it a reasonable length. Used to hate how I looked with a straight shave. But this costs about $50 and can give you any length of beard. My girlfriend also does my hair with it; best investment I ever made. I usually use a razor to trim under my chin, which is only twice a week. No mess, no fuss, just an easy way to upkeep the facial hair.

I'm with the guy one page 1 shaving maybe twice a week. I just wish my face would make up it's mind. Grow a beard or don't, but none of this 7th grade crap. I'm 28 freaking years old! My neck grows like mad, the majority of my chin and most of a mustache, but nothing past itchy gross looking patches. ugh. I'd prefer to grow a mountain man and not have to shave. But if I was shaving, I'd rather have a solid fill to shave.

I've been using the Gillette Fusion setup since it came out... I do wet my face and use good shaving gel too (so that my face doesn't get F'd up any more than genetics already did)... I don't hate shaving, it's more a matter of having a lot more to shave (above the collar)... Since I'm also shaving my cranium, it means I go through blades faster. I do shave less often, only two MAYBE three times a week. I will say, I can really tell when the blades are not up to par. I had a full pack that felt like the blades had serrated teeth on them. Almost gave up on the model after that.

I've been thinking about going the electric route too. My main concern is with what I need to shave. How will it do for the entire dome? How about above the ears? I do have a goatee (so that people can tell me apart from my 'good twin') but that doesn't really reduce how much I shave...

I don't see the straight razor route being a viable option for me... Well, unless I get someone to shave the back of my head for me that is...

So, is there a reasonably priced electric shaver that can handle the amount of territory that it would need to cover on me? :D

That's a good question. I have some hair on my chin as well and was wondering how I was going to electric shave around it.

IrregularPulse, that's just funny... If I didn't shave, within a few weeks, my face would be thick with hair... My head, not so much... Hence why I shave that part. No point in fighting genetics when they decide you've had enough hair covering your head. I just wish they didn't put the hair they removed from the top (and front) of my head, into other places where it didn't grow before. :eek:

I have seen some people that have a bit of facial hair, but it's in clumps. It's almost like someone decided to do a half-assed job of waxing them and pulling the hair out for good in just those spots. Usually what's left is thin and pathetic looking too. Unlike the thick manly hair most of us grown... :rockin:

I do need to wear a hat when I've shaved, if the sun is out... Otherwise, it's declared a safety hazard, planes fall from the sky (pilots blinded), and NASA can pick me out of a crowd without trying... :eek:

Fvcking HBT!

I just dropped a ton of cash on a Merkur Futur 4 peice kit.

Golddigie, I'll let you know how it fairs on the dome. I went with an adjustable for this reason alone. I see no point in using multiple razor types for different landscapes.

Thank GOD my wife doesn't care for me having a shaved manhood or THAT might get "hai.." well, it won't be good.

Golddiggie, may I suggest looking into a double edged razor? I am looking into getting a straight razor, but for now I am sticking to my DE razor, super cheap, and a fantastic shave, lots of guys on badger and blade shave their domes with them.

This is my vintage razor, it is very forgiving and tame compared to a more agressive DE, so it is a bit tougher to nick yourself with it.

new_pics_017.jpg

azscoob, that would mean I'd need to have one razor for the dome and another for the rest... Not gonna happen... I get enough shaves/weeks out of a single blade refill that I'm ok... Since I've been between jobs I've been shaving about once a week. So, saving (a bit) of blade life there. I just wish the refills were a bit cheaper.

BTW, with the way my landscape is constructed, I need the pivot head in order to not use so much TP stopping the blood from gushing out. I can only imagine how I would look after a session, or two, with one of the ancient DE sets... They'd probably start calling me "Q-Tip".. :eek:

Why does shaving blow?

For me it's to do with Razor Burn. An electric will only make that MUCH worse.

Using a blade type razor to shave gives me terrible ingrown hairs (doesn't matter if i shave with the hair growth direction), An electric works great and rarely if ever do i get any ingrown hairs.

I've had a few, most work well, but I definitely prefer rotary head. They seem to cut faster and cleaner than the foil type. Don't get el cheapo - pay for one with independently flexing heads and you will be very happy you did.

I use electric and have a goatee. You can easily trim what you want to and leave the rest behind. I wouldn't see a reason you couldn't shave your head with it too.

I use electric and have a goatee. You can easily trim what you want to and leave the rest behind. I wouldn't see a reason you couldn't shave your head with it too.

I have tried with both a rotary and a foil. Didn't work worth a damn on my melon. Just didn't cut well at all.

azscoob, that would mean I'd need to have one razor for the dome and another for the rest... Not gonna happen... I get enough shaves/weeks out of a single blade refill that I'm ok... Since I've been between jobs I've been shaving about once a week. So, saving (a bit) of blade life there. I just wish the refills were a bit cheaper.

From reading the B&B as well as other sites, no.

You'd need an adjustable. And then a few shaves to learn what setting is best for what area. Dial it in for an aggressive shave on the cheeks and then take it back for the neck and cranium. Or vice-versa.

As said before, once I get mine in and have used it I'll chime in on whether or not I have any derma left on my crania.

I love that Merkur set! my razor cost a bit less, it was 11 dollars shipped, I just bought an adjustable Gillette, 1950's model, 14.99 shipped! and someday when I get some spare cash, I'm going to pop for one of those Merkur razors, very well made.

I love that Merkur set! my razor cost a bit less, it was 11 dollars shipped, I just bought an adjustable Gillette, 1950's model, 14.99 shipped! and someday when I get some spare cash, I'm going to pop for one of those Merkur razors, very well made.

you guys gotta try a SE (single edge) razor. they are even cheaper on ebay and, IMHO, give a WAY better shave and are easier to use than the DE razors. look for an EverReady or Gem SE razor on ebay. I gave up my DE once I tried the SE.

you guys gotta try a SE (single edge) razor. they are even cheaper on ebay and, IMHO, give a WAY better shave and are easier to use than the DE razors. look for an EverReady or Gem SE razor on ebay. I gave up my DE once I tried the SE.

Hahaha. I just dropped hundreds on a DE shaving kit. So long as it provides a less irritable shave than a multi-blade I'll be using this thing til I die (likey the result of the first shave and a severed jugular).

If not, that expensive b!tch is going back.

Back