coconut Ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exotica59

Reaction score
Looking to make a coconut extract ale. Our Local brew pub just made the best darn coconut Ale. All I know about it is that they used toasted non-sweetened flaked coconut and they "dry hopped" ( dry coconutted?) the coconut. I also know that they used coconut water instead of coconut milk.
But I don't know anything else.
Anybody got any idea on how to build a recipe around that for a 5 gal. extract brew?
I'd like to stay with the Ale base ( thoughts on ingredients?) because I like the refreshing lightness of it. Looking for something to drink on a hot summer day.
Thanks for any help in advance.

I just brewed a coconut porter. I used a porter extract kit and added 2 lb of coconut to the secondary. I did bake the coconut like you mentioned, i used three or four baking sheets and heated to 325 and turn it a golden brown. I place the coconut inmuslin bags with some weights(Three billiard Cue balls)for a week and a half. I was inspired by Maui Brewing company's coconut porter. It turned out great. Chocolaty with a nice hint of coconut on the finish. Gets better after it sat in my keg for two weeks. Good luck on your Coconut Ale and let us know how it turns out.

Back