Southern Tier Pumking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwible204

Reaction score
So, here's what I came up with based on their malts/hops. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the spices. I've already purchased the malt/hops and the guys at the LHBS knew this beer well and said my recipe looked good. What do you guys think? Advice for the spices/times?

10 gallons

32# - 2-row
4# - Crystal 20

2oz Magnum - 60
1oz Sterling - 15

OG. 1.085

should come out to about 9% ABV

Thats the hardest thing with pumpkin beers, is getting the spice right. Sorry I can't help, Pumking is one of my favorite beers ever..

I think any normal blend of pumpkin pie spices will do...the hardest part will be getting that graham cracker flavor/aroma into the beer. I'd love to hear ideas on how to do that.

i'm just nervous that i'm not going to get the correct amount of spice. i suppose if there's too much i could let it mellow out over time, but if i don't use enough i'm going to have a pretty lousy beer.

Don't mean to threadjack here, but I just drank my first 2010 vintage tonight. I'm not sure I entirely like the spice flavor, but I don't know what I'm tasting. I can definitely see some graham crack though. I'm getting some strong gingerbready like notes, almost like heavy ginger pie crust. Does anyone else who has had this years have any input?

Don't mean to threadjack here, but I just drank my first 2010 vintage tonight. I'm not sure I entirely like the spice flavor, but I don't know what I'm tasting. I can definitely see some graham crack though. I'm getting some strong gingerbready like notes, almost like heavy ginger pie crust. Does anyone else who has had this years have any input?

yes, this years version seems heavier on the "pie crust" flavor than last years. the graham cracker imo is the biggest part and hardest to replicate. last year i did the radical brewing Gingerbread base beer and added pumpkin. not even close. this year i'm adding Graham Cracker Extract which smells absolutely heavenly. this is where i got it:
http://capellaflavordrops.com/grahamcracker.aspx
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/capella-flavor-drops-194137/
grahamcracker15ml.jpg

good luck.

I made a pumpkin recipe and mashed a box of graham crackers. I know its not best for head retention with the oil, but I'm hoping it turns out good. I took a sample yesterday and its not as pronounced graham flavor as I remember pumpking. But its definitely a good addition to a standard thin pure spice pumpkin ale.

ok, well, it's been tasted a week after bottling. it's actually smooth considering the 9% abv. it could use some more rest but that was expected. not quite Pumking, but if you've had the Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, it's very similar.

i'm very pleased with the preliminary taste test, it's a good beer. as for spice additions/amounts, i'll update after this week and another taste test. i am pleased with having 2 cases of this for the september/october months.

Where do you suppose that creamy texture and flavor of pumpking comes from? You planning on racking into secondary over some fresh roasted pumpkin or just the end of your boil?

Has anyone tried to contact the brewer at Souther Tier to see if he'll reveal some more info on his recipe? I love this beer, but it is very difficult to find in Chicago. I need to figure out how to make this at home so I can enjoy it to my heart's content.

If you were to add in this graham cracker flavoring, do you think you would add all 4 ounces or would this be overkill?

Has anyone tried to contact the brewer at Souther Tier to see if he'll reveal some more info on his recipe? I love this beer, but it is very difficult to find in Chicago. I need to figure out how to make this at home so I can enjoy it to my heart's content.

Dude, I also live in Chicago, and the beer is everywhere. Armanetti's on Lincoln and Addison has a ton of it, as does West Lakeview Liquors on Addison and Levitt. Granted both of those place are in Lakeview, but that's near where I live. I'm sure other Armanetti's have it also.

If you were to add in this graham cracker flavoring, do you think you would add all 4 ounces or would this be overkill?

I personally would just taste as you go, as you would with Vanilla or Hazelnut extract.

ok, i tasted another bottle (we split it into 2 batches, 1 had real vanilla extract added). i tried 2 now with the vanilla and holy **** it's incredibly close to the real thing. it's missing the cake/graham cracker (i think the graham cracker extract would do this) but the malt/hops/sweetness/spices are spot on. it's quite a delicious beer and i will without a doubt be brewing this again, probably before next Halloween.

the 'vanilla' batch is much closer to Pumking than the non-vanilla. when made again, the vanilla will be added to the entire batch at bottling.

How much vanilla did you add, and how much would it translate to for a full 5 gallon batch?

well the total batch was 10 gallons, but i only added vanilla to 5 gallons of it. i soaked 4 ounces of vodka in 3 vanilla beans for 4 weeks, then added the vodka to the bottling bucket.

Dude, I also live in Chicago, and the beer is everywhere. Armanetti's on Lincoln and Addison has a ton of it, as does West Lakeview Liquors on Addison and Levitt. Granted both of those place are in Lakeview, but that's near where I live. I'm sure other Armanetti's have it also.

I personally would just taste as you go, as you would with Vanilla or Hazelnut extract.

I can't seem to find it in Wicker Park. The Armanetti's on Western doesn't carry it. The only place I've seen it is Binny's.

I left a message with the head brewer this morning. I'll let everyone know if he get's back to me. I'm not holding my breath, but you never know if they'll share.

My recipe is very similar to the ones posted here however I threw in a pack of crushed graham crackers in the last 5 min of the boil. Just racked to secondary and going to add a dash of vanilla extract. Will let y'all know how it turns out! Looking at 10% ABV as well. Yowza!

just wanted to update here. so far every person i've given it to has absolutely loved it, even the BMC drinkers. they've all said it's more of Pumpkin Pie Ale than the Pumpkin Ales they've tried elsewhere. attached is a photo. this beer kicks ass!!

THMGT.jpg

whoa you gotta find a way to shrink your photos!!:eek:
well the total batch was 10 gallons, but i only added vanilla to 5 gallons of it. i soaked 4 ounces of vodka in 3 vanilla beans for 4 weeks, then added the vodka to the bottling bucket.

so you never list what you spice additions were. other than the vanilla what did you put in? what quantities and when? did you blend each of the two batches or bottle separately?

Back