Pot Roast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
One of the bestest comfort foods evar. Was one of my favorite things mom used to cook. And since everybody has a 1/2 steer in their freezer now ;), let's talk pot roast.

I made probably my best one over the weekend. I finally realized that my crock pot was just too hot even on the lowest setting. This time I seasoned the 3# boneless chuck roast with kosher salt, browned the chuck roast and then lightly seasoned it Lawry's Seasoned Salt. In the crock pot I put 1 pkg. baby carrots, 2 stalks celery in chunks, 1/2 med onion in large chunks, 1/4 cup water, 1 tsp. beef base, 1/4 tsp. white pepper, and a few shakes Worcestershire. Then I placed the browned/seasoned chuck roast on top. I let it go on LOW for 6 hours...turned it OFF for 2 hours...then back ON (low) for 3 hours...then OFF for 1 hour. It was as perfect as I've made it.

I also decided that I prefer cooking the potatos (small red/creamers) seperately.

Why is it better the next day? I have heard that at least part of it is because when we slow cook something we break down the collagen in the meat. The collagen breaks down to gelatin. And things are kind of mushy at that point. But if we cool it and let that gelatin set...then it takes more heat to get it mushy again than it took to break down the collagen in the first place. So the meat stays fork-tender but yet is less mushy than it was when first cooked. Sounds plausible I guess...but when I eat leftover pot roast I never think; "This is better because it's less mushy than it was a day ago". It's just better.

Some folks eat pot roast as a stew (in a bowl with lots of the liquid) while others eat it pretty much dry...probably lots of variations. I like it more like a stew...I want at least some of that wonderful liquid.

Also, if you buy the chuck roast bone-in...allegedly you want a roast with longest blade bone as possible. Or so says Alton Brown. The roast with the longest blade bone is from the 'good end' of the chuck/shoulder primal. I just get the boneless...which is prob from the 'bad end' of the primal but whatever.

Who loves pot roast?:rockin:

I love pot roast. Once the weather cools down it typically becomes our sunday meal even if it's just me and the wife. I guess it falls on tradition because ever since I was a baby we would always go to my grandma's house every sunday with the rest of the family and eat roast.

I loved my grandma's roast so much I spent a lot of time scouring ebay and garage sales trying to find the exact stainless steel electric skillet she used to use. I finally found one. It's probably 40 years old but it's the single best piece of cooking equipment I have.

Anyway, I also use boneless and braise the roast in the skillet. I also brown it up good on both sides first and then soften an onion in the oil before starting the braise. After a few hours it's ready and then I use all the good brown bits in the pan to make some awesome gravy. I also cook the potatoes separately.

Wow, now my mouth is watering. Good thing I have a roast in the fridge right now. Might have to make it tonight instead of tomorrow :D

I made a pot roast this weekend, a chuck arm roast to be precise, and it was awesome. I start by cutting the roast into 3-4 parts to make it easier to move. Then I throw copious amounts of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper on both sides of each piece and with a little olive oil in the bottom of our heaviest SS pan I brown each. Unfortunately we do not have a cast iron Dutch oven so I have to brown the meat in one pan and roast it in another so once all the browning is done and all the pieces are in the roaster I add some water to the pan I browned it in and scrape up all the good stuff. This water plus a bit more gets poured into the roaster. Then I add some dried thyme, 3-4 bay leaves and any vegetables we want to cook with the meat to the roaster. The whole thing gets covered and goes into the oven at 275 for at least 4 hours or so, if not longer. When it’s done the meat and veggies get pulled out and all the liquid in the pan goes into a sauce pan and brought to a boil. I take some flour and cold water and mix it up and once the liquid has come to a good boil I pour in enough of the flour mixture to thicken it up, add salt and pepper to taste and you’ve got an awesome gravy.

Has anyone ever tried the Alton Brown pot roast? I have been wanting to make it for a while now but just never have.

Why are we on a beer forum and you people are using water in your roast? Seriously drop the water and use some beer the results will astound you :D

Love it!! I've tried the Alton Brown version (seared in cast iron, wrapped in foil with aromatic vegetables, and slow roasted). Perfect. Lately, though, I've been using a 7-bone roast, braising in the oven with vegetables, and flipping every 30 minutes. On the last few flips the thing is basically falling apart. No one in my house likes onion chunks, so after the meat comes out, I skim the fat off the liquid and puree everything. Wonderful "gravy."

I'll have to try the braise with homebrew next time. Duh.

Why are we on a beer forum and you people are using water in your roast? Seriously drop the water and use some beer the results will astound you :D

The only problem is that I never have any beer that is good for cooking. Most of it is really hoppy.

I'm thinking super hoppy beer (depending on the hops) could/would work in a few instances:

Citrusy hops: Seafood/poultry
Earthy: beef/stew
Herbal/grassy: anything you can highlight an herbal note in, possibly a splash in pasta sauce instead of wine or even going back to the stew.

Personally I plan on trying to steam some shrimp with a super citrusy IIPA here soon.

edit: As another example of using beer that MIGHT not sound quite right for the dish, I used some oak barrel stout in some chili last night. Added an incredible smokiness and depth to the flavor that is making my mouth water just thinking about the leftovers.

I have found that cooking with hoppy beers you lose any of the nuances of the individual hop profiles and and just becomes an over astringent bitter flavor.

Last time i made some roast i added a little mead (joe's quick grape mead)..
the result was incredible.. i will definately repeat it.

it added nicely to both the aroma and the flavor :)

I usually season mine with salt and pepper then make a couple deep incisions into the meat and stuff half a garlic clove into each one. I usually sear it off then put in in a dutch oven with carrots, celery, and onion and a 50/50 red wine/beef stock mix and braise it in the oven at about 350 for 2-3 hours. It's incredible. The garlic inside becomes sweet almost like roasted garlic. Then i usually strain the braising liquid and reduce it to a gravy.

That braising liquid works awesome for short ribs too. Which if you've never had i HIGHLY recommend. Especially if you like pot roast.

I usually season mine with salt and pepper then make a couple deep incisions into the meat and stuff half a garlic clove into each one.

Great idea. I usually just add minced garlic after browning the other aromatic vegetables, but your method sounds better. Now I have two changes to try next time - braise with beer and this one.

I would reccomend that you make sure that the garlic is completely in the meat and not exposed because garlic will burn really easily when searing the meat and burnt garlic tastes like ass.

I would reccomend that you make sure that the garlic is completely in the meat and not exposed because garlic will burn really easily when searing the meat and burnt garlic tastes like ass.

I'm not as familiar with what ass tastes like as you but I'll take your word for it :D

One of my favorite things to do along with the pot roast is mushrooms. Get a bunch of plain button mushrooms and throw them in with the pot roast. As it cooks they suck up potroasty goodness. Best part is my wife and daughter don't eat mushrooms so they're all for me! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Anyone else use roasting bags for theirs? Those are amazing for making a nice juicy pot roast. Put in the roast, your choice of seasonings, veggies, etc. Then you tie it shut and poke a couple vent holes in the top to let out steam and drop the whole thing in your roaster. They work really well with convection ovens too.

I use a crock pot but mine is a bit too hot even on the LOW setting. So I run it for a while...then turn it off for a while...then run it again.

From what I've read, all crocpots should basically get hot enough to boil water on either low OR high, the heat settings basically just determine how long it takes to get there.

With that said, I usually just pack mine fairly full with carrots, onions, the roast, the liquid, and anything else going in (celery and a few bay leaves) up to about 1/4-1" depending on the roast size of the top the night before, put the lid on, put it in the fridge, and then in the morning take it out and put it in the base on low as I walk out the door for work.

I should try putting some sort of spacers between the pot and the cradle to keep the heat down...so I can set it and forget it.

Regarding the liquid...that last roast I made was 1/4 cup at most and there was plenty of liquid at the end. I think I could use 1 TBS. and it would still be enough.

I love pot roast.

I still use my Mother's recipe to this day.

Pressure Cooker.
Cheapest meat available.
1 package Lipton Onion Soup mix.
ugly carrots and taters from the farmer market.

perfect pot roast everytime.

I love pot roast.

I still use my Mother's recipe to this day.

Pressure Cooker.
Cheapest meat available.
1 package Lipton Onion Soup mix.
ugly carrots and taters from the farmer market.

perfect pot roast everytime.
I've done the Onion Soup mix thing and it is good. How do you use the pressure cooker for pot roast thataintchicken?

IMO I think you have to be somewhat careful about the cut of meat you choose though. For example, a bottom round roast isn't as good as a chuck roast ainec. But that's just my opinion...it's a comfort food so however Mom used to make it is often what we like.:mug:

I set the cooker to low about 5 minutes ago. My wife and I both have 12+ hour days today. This was the perfect thing to look forward to when I get home. Thanks for the idea.

For the record, I used a cup of beer, some beef base, some garlic powder, about a tsp of worcestershire, a splash of hot sauce, some thyme, and a bay leaf to season my veggies. Can't do the op's on-off-on method, but low all day has worked well for me with other crock pot dishes. The pot itself is older than I am, and uglier, too.

I've done the Onion Soup mix thing and it is good. How do you use the pressure cooker for pot roast thataintchicken?

I brown the meat with a bit of oil. Then I add water or stock, spices and seal it all up. Cook at pressure for 45 minutes. Vent the steam. Add veggies. Cook for another 15 minutes.

I'll also use the Dutch Oven if I am not in a hurry, or even toss the roast into the smoker.

It just depends on my mood that day.

I've been kicking this one around in my head for a few days, and I may try this sometime this week:

Chuck Roast
Carrots
Parnsips
Mushrooms
Pearl Onions
Garlic
2 Bay leaves
Thyme
Salt & Pepper
Oatmeal stout that attentuated a hair too much.

Shouldn't even need water b/c the beer ended a hair too thin :D

I've been kicking this one around in my head for a few days, and I may try this sometime this week:

Chuck Roast
Carrots
Parnsips
Mushrooms
Pearl Onions
Garlic
2 Bay leaves
Thyme
Salt & Pepper
Oatmeal stout that attentuated a hair too much.

Shouldn't even need water b/c the beer ended a hair too thin :D

let me know when and I'll be over for dinner :drool

Back