p.p.g. of my DME !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I measured the p.p.g. of my DME as follows :

I dissolved 36 grams of DME in 200 ml of water and topped up to 300 ml , then I mixed it up well to have a homogeneous solution .

I measured the gravity after cooling to 20C .

The Result was 1.046 !

I've already calibrated the hydrometer by using water at 20C . It read 0.998 .

By my small experiment , it read 1.044 . Therefore the real gravity of my DME is 1.046 .

Is this acceptable , as it belongs also to sugar ?!

Hector

If you put 36 grams of sucrose into water and make up to 300 mL of solution you would have 120 grams per liter. The specific gravity of a sucrose solution of that strength is 1.04623. Thus you have shown that your DME is, within experimental error, equivalent to sucrose. All is well.

Thus you have shown that your DME is, within experimental error, equivalent to sucrose. All is well.

That's exactly my question .

Can p.p.g. of light DME and sucrose be the same ?!

John Palmer says in his "How To Brew" that the p.p.g. of DME is 1.040-1.043 .

My DME contains 64% maltose .

Hector

Probably not exactly the same but very close. It is this happy circumstance that makes the Plato tables, based on sucrose, apply to brewing where the actual sugar spectrum is quite variable but never contains much sucrose.

Back