Purgeing co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdybowdy07

Reaction score
Hey everyone i cant find a thread that explains purging co2 from a corny keg, this is my method is it sufficient? Once filled i flip the keg up side down and let the faucet run until nothing is coming out. so the dispensing tube is letting all the gas escape and all of the incoming gas is co2 that pretty much makes for no oxygen right?

I dont know though

Anyone use this method?

Yes, I spelled purging wrong in the title

It probably works, but it sounds more complicated than what I do.

I just pressurize the keg and let it sit for a few moments. CO2 is heavier than O2, so the CO2 will fall down and push the O2 up. Then I just vent the gas via the pressure release valve on the keg's lid, which should pull the O2 out first. I do this a few times and call it good.

That seems Like it will work, It just makes sense to me if its flipped upside down and all the gas inside is drawn off through the dispensing tube and new gas is continually added then all o2 will be gone

Turn the PSI up to 30 and sometimes a tad will trickle into the gas line just remove the quick disconnect and hit the valve with your finger and its all shoots out

Well.. your method should work. It's really no different than pressurizing and using the release valve on the lid, but seems more of a hassle to me.

Just fill the keg with sanitizer and use CO2 to push it out (assuming you're intending to FILL the keg with CO2, not purge it of CO2..?).

Walker thanks Man... Im about to keg a wheat beer so i thought to see if there was an easier method, what psi do you put in the keg?

Just fill the keg with sanitizer and use CO2 to push it out (assuming you're intending to FILL the keg with CO2, not purge it of CO2..?).

I think he's talking about purging the air out of a keg that he just filled with fresh beer.

Walker thanks Man... Im about to keg a wheat beer so i thought to see if there was an easier method, what psi do you put in the keg?

If you are just trying to get the air out, it doesn't really matter. My regulator is set to 10psi and I just use it like that.

That seems Like it will work, It just makes sense to me if its flipped upside down and all the gas inside is drawn off through the dispensing tube and new gas is continually added then all o2 will be gone

Well, but then you're "shaking" a keg with o2 in it. Just taking a keg with o2 in the headspace and turning it over means that you are encouraging the o2 to mix with the beer. I doubt it'll do any damage, but it doesn't seem like the best practice.

Here's what I do- give the empty keg a shot of co2 if the tank is handy. Then fill the keg, not allowing it to splash while you siphon gently. When you're done, close it up and give it a shot of co2 to seat the lid. Purge out the co2. Do it again a couple of times. Now you can pick up the keg and move it because the co2 is heavier than room air, and it's filled with co2 in the headspace.

Well, but then you're "shaking" a keg with o2 in it. Just taking a keg with o2 in the headspace and turning it over means that you are encouraging the o2 to mix with the beer. I doubt it'll do any damage, but it doesn't seem like the best practice.

Here's what I do- give the empty keg a shot of co2 if the tank is handy. Then fill the keg, not allowing it to splash while you siphon gently. When you're done, close it up and give it a shot of co2 to seat the lid. Purge out the co2. Do it again a couple of times. Now you can pick up the keg and move it because the co2 is heavier than room air, and it's filled with co2 in the headspace.

Good point about mixing the o2 in the headspace...

I fill my kegs through the "liquid out" post so I don't have to worry about splashing or introducing oxygen... I purge the empty keg with co2. Then I connect a siphon tube from the fermenter to a liquid out disconnect and open the pressure relief valve on the keg. I either push it out of the fermenter with co2 or let it siphon (depending on the size of the fermenter)

Since I can't "see" the keg filling, I set it on a bath scale and watch the weight as it fills. You can also watch the condensation line on the keg if there is a temp difference.

Back