AG to PM conversion of Jamil's oatmeal stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
Hi,

Please comment on the extract conversion of this recipe.

I would like to do an extract version of Jamil's award winning AG recipe for his oatmeal stout (Untitled). I'll summarize his AG ingredients and my extract conversion to make it easier to comment.

Also, I want to use yeast I have on hand. Jamil used WLP002. I have WLP005 and WLP001 on hand - was thinking 005.

AG: (summary only)
Grain/Extract/Sugar

9.40 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
1.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
0.75 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 28
0.50 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 500
1.80 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 36.1 60 min.
White Labs WLP002 English Ale

My Extract Version:

1.0 lb Oats Flaked
1 lb Chocolate Malt
.75 lb Victory® Malt
.5 lb Crystal Malt 80°L
.75 lb Roasted Barley
5.0 lb CBW® Golden Light Powder (Dry Malt Extract)
1.8 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 ea White Labs (HBUSA) WLP005 British Ale

Mathematically, I think you need to increase the extract to 5.5 lbs, or you could replace the dry extract with 6.8 lbs of English Liquid Malt Extract. That is the recipe provided in Brewing Classic Styles. The problem with using extract in that recipe is that there are no enzymes to convert the Oats and Victory which seems to be a rather elementary mistake for Palmer and Zainasheff to make. You may be able to get some Diastatic Malt Syrup, and you could use that for the enzymes in the mash, otherwise you will need some base malt to do a mini mash.

-a.

Mathematically, I think you need to increase the extract to 5.5 lbs, or you could replace the dry extract with 6.8 lbs of English Liquid Malt Extract. That is the recipe provided in Brewing Classic Styles. The problem with using extract in that recipe is that there are no enzymes to convert the Oats and Victory which seems to be a rather elementary mistake for Palmer and Zainasheff to make. You may be able to get some Diastatic Malt Syrup, and you could use that for the enzymes in the mash, otherwise you will need some base malt to do a mini mash.

-a.

According to BeerTools 5.5 pushes the SG to 61, 5 puts the SG around 58, so I guess it could go either way. I favor lower ABV beers so I may stay with 5.

The mistake in mash may not be Palmer or Zainasheff - I don't know where the extract recipe came from. If I wanted to add some 2 row to PM the Oats and Victory how many should I add?

Back