Bottling mead for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
In the past I have done 12oz bottles for competition.
Is this the best bottle or is there a better way?

My '08 Santa Cruz Mountain Wildflower Sweet Mead seems really good based on initial tastings. Just looking for some advice. It is a still mead, but I am thinking of going sparkling with a portion of the batch.

Thanks in advance

In the past I have done 12oz bottles for competition.
Is this the best bottle or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance

I guess it would depend upon the competition. If you're entering in a mead category in a brewing competition, I don't think there's a problem with 12 oz crown caps since those bottles predominate the overall competition. If, however, you enter in a wine or mead only competition, then I'd suggest corked 375s.

As was suggested earlier, it's what's inside the bottle that counts but, in a competition, subtle differences such as bottle and premium cork selection might mean the difference between winning and not winning. This first impression, even before the taste, tells the judge that if you care so much about presentation then your mead may well have received just as much thought and work.

I've done a little judging and stewarding (and have entered a few competitons) and I know first impression count. For good or bad, when I open a bottle and see a bad cork, dirty bottle or a sloppy label then I automatically expect less from the contents. The same goes for the appearance prior to the first sip. Cloudy mead or wine or "floaties" lower expectations even further.

Now we're just discussing competitions. If I bottle for my own consumption, and maybe some to share or give away, I'm not nearly as fussy. I prefer corked bottles, but I also use swing tops and even 12 oz crown caps to taste as the mead matures and I never filter mead or wine for person consumption.

Depends on the competition, for instance check out the entry requirements for this competition next month..

Again, competitions, such as this one, sponsored by brew clubs tend to prefer crown caps. Competitions sponsored by wine enthusiasts typically prefer corked bottles, though I find that both wine and homebrew focused events will accept either.

Back