To Hell With It, Here's My D-IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rph33

Reaction score
I posted a few weeks back about you guys SCARING ME OUT OF MY DOUBLE IPA.

Well, I took some of your advice and bought a big, fat 7.5 gallon brewpot. I can now do (and just did my first) FULL-BOILS; I had to place the pot over TWO BURNERS on the stove, but it got rolling in NO TIME. :)

And then I said "TO HELL WITH IT!" and wrote up a big, fat Double IPA recipe based solely on the hops that I have liked in the past. I want citrus, I want pine, I want some spicy aroma too. So here it is, feel free to comment or flame the hell out of it, it won't bother me because in my opinion the best way to learn is through EXPERIENCE! :D

"BIG SLAMMU DOUBLE IPA" by Brewdimus Prime Beers®

Grain Bill:
8# Extra Pale DME (1# @ 90 min. / 1# @ 60 min. / 6# @ 15 min.)
1/2# English Pale Ale Malt (30 min. @ 155 degrees)
1/2# Carapils (30 min. @ 155 degrees)
1/4# Crystal 40L (30 min. @ 155 degrees)
1/4# Crystal 10L (30 min. @ 155 degrees)

Hop Schedule:
2 oz. Centennial 90 min. = 66.2 IBU
1 oz. Amarillo 75 min. = 33.6 IBU (One of my favorite hops)
1/2 oz. Hallertau 60 min. = 7.0 IBU (I know this is a lager hop, but what the hell)
1/2 oz. Kent 35 min. = 6.1 IBU (I dunno)
1/2 oz. Amarillo 15 min. = 4.4 IBU
1 oz. Cascade 10 min. = 4.6 IBU (Citrus)
1 oz. Cascade 1 min. = 3.8 IBU
1 oz. Hallertau FLAMEOUT = ~2 IBU (Want some spice in this *****)
= Approximately 128 IBUs

Other things:
1/2 tsp. Gypsum @ 90 min. (I'm scared of the stuff so I didn't wanna' overdo it)
1 tsp. Ultramoss @ 20 min.

Yeast:
WLP 023 BURTON ALE YEAST

OG: 1.072

Going to DRY-HOP in secondary with Cascade / Amarillo / maybe also Hallertau, maybe something else also. I haven't gotten this far yet, because it's in primary, so if you have any suggestions on TYPE or AMOUNT of hops, please let me know! :D

I'll take a sixer of this when it's done. Here's my mailing address::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Looks fine to me... You started out with a pretty standard IPA malt bill. Don't let anyone scare you out of experimenting, thats the fun of it. But if you try too many variables in one batch, you may not be able to put your finger on what works and what doesnt.

Not sure what you were hoping for with the hallertau and kent, I think they might get lost in all of those C hops.

I found (through experience) that I am not a big fan of Amarillo Dry Hops. I prefer Cascade and Centennial. I would use one or 2 hops for dry hop, and see what you like.

If I wanted more spicy aroma, would dry hopping with say 2 parts Hallertau and 1 part Cascade do? And what size should these "parts" be; I don't know what amounts are good for dry-hopping.

I'd replace the kent goldings with some more cascade personally- but it looks like it should be one heck of a tasty, hoppy beer! After you test it please add this to the recipes!

Looks fine to me... You started out with a pretty standard IPA malt bill. Don't let anyone scare you out of experimenting, thats the fun of it. But if you try too many variables in one batch, you may not be able to put your finger on what works and what doesnt.

Not sure what you were hoping for with the hallertau and kent, I think they might get lost in all of those C hops.

I found (through experience) that I am not a big fan of Amarillo Dry Hops. I prefer Cascade and Centennial. I would use one or 2 hops for dry hop, and see what you like.

+1...... Drop the kent and hallertau and up the cascade and centennial. Amarillo is a nice flavor hop for mid-boil, but I agree, I don't care for it in the dry hop. If your looking for spicy, Columbus hops are awesome!

Eastside

+1...... Drop the kent and hallertau and up the cascade and centennial. Amarillo is a nice flavor hop for mid-boil, but I agree, I don't care for it in the dry hop. If your looking for spicy, Columbus hops are awesome!

Eastside

Agreed on dropping those hops. Also I don't think Gypsum is really need for extract brews. The super moss should be added last 5-10 minutes to be really effective.

Why are you not a fan of dry hopping with amarillo?

Back