OG at Temp Above 60 degrees.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stark

Reaction score
Ok guys, I am sorry if I am being Lazy on the Searching (I did a bit, just getting hit to fast here at work with things to work on.) But I have a question in trying to figure out my OG when the temp of the sample was higher than 60 degrees. My Reading was about 1.070 and the Temp was around 77 degrees. What is the math I need to apply to figure out what the true Grav is?

And for the curious cats in the group, this is in relation to the Spiced Dubble I put together yesterday, planning on this being my X-mas brew this year.

Add 2 points to your gravity reading and that should be close (should be 1.072). Your hydrometer should have come with an adjustment scale, do you still have it?

I do not know how other people feel about this, but I have found that this works with the correction scale that came with the hydrometer I have so I sometimes use this site to figure out it without having to think or anything.

http://www.myhomebrew.com/hc0.html

You can change the calibration and it will even compute other things as well.

Hope it helps you out.

Keep in mind when using temperature corrections for Hydrometers these facts:

1) There are two well known calibration temps 60 °F and 68 °F at which your Hydrometer reading for water should be 1.000. Use the correct one when correcting, your paperwork that came with the Hydrometer will tell you.

2) The correction is a non-linear function of temperature...so if you misread your Hydrometer by a point when the temperature of the sample is say 110 °F you will be much farther off from the properly corrected reading when you are off by a point at closer to calibration temperature (the same goes for your temperature reading as it will screw you up too, it is just much easier to be off on the Hydro as it is done by eye).

A great method that a forum member contributed is to take something like a stainless steel pot, put it in your freezer and then you can just pour the sample in there to cool it rapidly when you are brewing. It might not get it to calibration temp, but it should get you cool enough. That all being said, you should really never be off more than 4 or 5 points even if you screw up.

I wish I had that paper at this point. Unfortunately my Hydrometer came second hand from a Friend that tried and did not want to keep up with Brewing. I appreciate the advices too guys, I'll mark OG as 1.072 and note it as a guestimate, then try the Stainless Steel pot trick on the next brew.

take a reading of 60F degree tap water. It should be 1.000 (or close enough) If its less than 1.000, like 0.999 its probably calibrated at 68F.

ideally you should use distilled water at 60F for this test.

I do not know how other people feel about this, but I have found that this works with the correction scale that came with the hydrometer I have so I sometimes use this site to figure out it without having to think or anything.

http://www.myhomebrew.com/hc0.html

You can change the calibration and it will even compute other things as well.

Hope it helps you out.

Nice site. Thanks.

Stark,

I have seen on different hydrometers it actually says towards the bottom of it what it reads at. Mine and a couple of my buddies, they are all different hydrometers, says it. It says something like "Specific Gravity @ 60/60 F" Maybe look to see if yours says anything like that on it.

I wish I had that paper at this point. Unfortunately my Hydrometer came second hand from a Friend that tried and did not want to keep up with Brewing. I appreciate the advices too guys, I'll mark OG as 1.072 and note it as a guestimate, then try the Stainless Steel pot trick on the next brew.

Put your hydrometer in some 60F water and note the reading. Warm the water up to 77F and take another reading. The difference will be the same (almost, but not worth worrying about) for your Spiced Double.

P

Back