Blackberry Melomel tips needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeruRaHa

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I stumbled across a recipe for blackberry wine, as such:
Blackberry Wine Ingredients: 49 oz. Blackberry Fruit Puree + 1¼ lb Corn Sugar (or 5 lbs. Blackberries + 1¾ lb Corn Sugar); Bottled Water to 1 gallon total volume; ½ tsp Acid Blend; ½ tsp Pectic Enzyme; 1 tsp Bentonite; 1 tsp Sparkolloid, save this for later use; Lalvin 71B-1122 or Red Star Cote Des Blancs yeast. --http://www.barkingside.com/winerecipes.asp

LHBS just happened to have these 49oz Vintner's Harvest cans so I picked one up on a recent trip. However, I wanted to try substituting the sugar with honey and making a melomel... I realize my blackberry flavor will be very strong if I use the whole 49oz of puree and (I'm calculating) about 1.6 pounds of honey... other recipes for melomels call for more honey and less fruit... but I want to go ahead and use the whole can of puree, and just see how my blackberry wine does with honey instead of cane sugar to raise the gravity... I assume this is still technically a melomel at this point, and I'm sure the honey flavor will be noticeable.

I think I'm gonna start the experiment tomorrow, and I'm curious to hear any input you might have... thanks!

I have a 1 gallon blackberry mead going right now, it's about 2.5 months old now and is tasting amazing, it's also the only blackberry mead I've ever made.

The recipe came from stormthecastle.com

Wolfmoon mead
1 package of Red Star "Premier Cuvee" yeast
Yeast nutrient
4 pounds of clover honey
1 gallon of spring water
8 ounces of Black berries - Frozen
1 whole clove
inch and a quarter ( 1 1/4 ) long section of a vanilla bean. Split length-wise.

Tossed everything but the vanilla bean into the primary and let it ferment til if finished, then racked to secondary and tossed in the split vanilla bean. Still sitting on the vanilla bean, and it still has a wee bit of an alcohol taste to it yet, but if this turns out as well as I think it's going to I will definitely be making a 5 gallon batch of it :) Note I used the whole vanilla bean, which was probably about 3 inches long.

Blackberries fade pretty quickly in mead so if it is going to age at all use lots of blackberries. The amounts you are talking about seem good for aging.

Back