Yeast Bank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djsethall

Reaction score
For those of us who know how to properly wash and store yeast, this will be a thread of trading strains. No cost besides standard shipping. Enjoy!!

I'm always down for a trade. I've got these in the freezer under 25% glycerine:

W1338 Euro Ale
W3724 Belgian Saison
W1388 Belgian Strong
Nottingham Ale
Red Hook Wit isolate (likely Kolsch bottling strain)
W1728 Scottish Ale
W2565 Kolsch
W1272 American Ale II
Safale-04
Saflager S-23
W1084 Irish Ale

Who's got some insight on sending yeast by post? I suspect they'd do fine on a slant or agar plate at shipping temps this time of year, but anyone have actual experience with this? Seems like cold packs are a bit overkill for trading.

There are other trade threads that pop up with a search of this forum. One of the more recent ones is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-culture-trade-271159/ and there is another link in there to information about trading strains by mail.

Have you checked the wiki?

OP: I'm a little confused here, are you trying to trade with people? If so, why are you not listing your strains or asking for strains that you wish to acquire?

Honestly, unless someone has a commercially unavailable strain, it would just be easier to make a one-time buy at the LHBS and be done with it.

Honestly, unless someone has a commercially unavailable strain, it would just be easier to make a one-time buy at the LHBS and be done with it.

It might be a great idea if you trade several strains at once; getting 5 strains for the cost of postage sounds a lot more attractive and a great way to build up a bank.

That's my thought exactly. If people want to trade their whole bank, it's pretty easy to do, drying some cells on sterile paper and tossing in the mail. Not as worth it doing one strain at a time.

OP: I'm a little confused here, are you trying to trade with people? If so, why are you not listing your strains or asking for strains that you wish to acquire?

I just came up with the idea one night and wanted to get the thread started

It might be a great idea if you trade several strains at once; getting 5 strains for the cost of postage sounds a lot more attractive and a great way to build up a bank.

This was the plan

Back