Adding Nutrients Late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAJay

Reaction score
I'm attempting my first batch of mead (1 gallon regular mead and 1 gallon orange mead) and I added the nutrients to the regular mead (I didn't use any in the orange mead) about 15 hours after adding the yeast, based on the advice of the local brew supply shop owner who said it would be fine, and it was like a volcano erupting when I added it. It's been about 24 hrs since then and there are some bubbles but not like in the orange mead. Did I mess it up or is this normal? Should I do anything? Thanks.

15 hours late is perfectly fine.

however you just need to degass the mead before adding otherwise you get that volcano effect happening.

It likely erupted because the powder you added acted as nucleation points for the co2 bubbles. Don't worry about it, the degassing probably did it some good, it should pick up just fine on it's own

Why did you not add nutrient to the orange mead? You might want to add some if this isn't too far into the ferment.

EDIT: by "too far" I mean that the mead isn't more than half-way through the ferment (ie the SG is half that of the OG).

Back