Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
End the challenge calls. Use the replay only to reverse calls that are obvious. No more challenge on the bang bang plays at first, decide on whether you want to protect collisions at the plate or not. End the transfer rule. A catch is a catch. I thought of a new scenario on the ridiculous new rules.

Men at 1st and 2nd no out.... Line drive to SS (1 out) who tags the runner off second (2nd out) and attempts to throw out the runner at first who fell down returning to the base. During the transfer to the throwing arm he drops the ball. Does this eliminate the two outs? Since the SS can still pick up the ball and throw to 1st (because the runner is laying on the ground) is it a triple play or one out. What is the call? The new rules suck. I find myself watching every catch to see if there will be a transfer. This is not what I've been watching for more than 50 years. I accept the calls in a game and I wouldn't mind seeing a way to reverse some calls. But this system is not the way to go.

Interesting scenario. Apply the transfer rule the tagged runer is out. His body came in contact with the ball through the tag. The SS can then pick up the ball and touch second for the force or throw to first to get the batter. Two outs either way. Can get a triple play if they are able to step on second and throws or batter out first

Interesting scenario. Apply the transfer rule the tagged runer is out. His body came in contact with the ball through the tag. The SS can then pick up the ball and touch second for the force or throw to first to get the batter. Two outs either way. Can get a triple play if they are able to step on second and throws or batter out first

Brett, I can't find the "tagged runner is out" by making contact with the ball rule. What would be the difference between tagging a base or the runner and dropping the ball afterwards on the exchange? Is it somewhere other than section 7? Good call on the fielder touching 2nd for the force out. It might be a better idea to throw to third instead of 1st and apply the tag to the confused runner from second who was tagged and thought he was out.

I don't like the direction that baseball is taking. I haven't watched football in years because of the rediculous fouls and reviews on nearly every play. The referees are lawyers for god's sake.

In baseball, if these reviews make the game much slower, people will tune out.

Reviews haven't made the game slower at all.

End the challenge calls. Use the replay only to reverse calls that are obvious. No more challenge on the bang bang plays at first, decide on whether you want to protect collisions at the plate or not. End the transfer rule. A catch is a catch. I thought of a new scenario on the ridiculous new rules.

Men at 1st and 2nd no out.... Line drive to SS (1 out) who tags the runner off second (2nd out) and attempts to throw out the runner at first who fell down returning to the base. During the transfer to the throwing arm he drops the ball. Does this eliminate the two outs? Since the SS can still pick up the ball and throw to 1st (because the runner is laying on the ground) is it a triple play or one out. What is the call? The new rules suck. I find myself watching every catch to see if there will be a transfer. This is not what I've been watching for more than 50 years. I accept the calls in a game and I wouldn't mind seeing a way to reverse some calls. But this system is not the way to go.

What if there was an eclipse at the same time and it was cinco de mayo?

Brett, I can't find the "tagged runner is out" by making contact with the ball rule. What would be the difference between tagging a base or the runner and dropping the ball afterwards on the exchange? Is it somewhere other than section 7? Good call on the fielder touching 2nd for the force out. It might be a better idea to throw to third instead of 1st and apply the tag to the confused runner from second who was tagged and thought he was out.

Ya I guess you are right. Don't have my rule book by me. I know if a batted ball hits a base runner while in the base path they are out so I made the assumption a tag was the same.

They enforced this transfer rule again last night for the nationals game. Double play attempt the 2nd baseman clearly caught the ball while standing on second stepped off the bag and lost the handle gripping it to throw to first. All runners declared safe.

Maybe players need to start abusing the rule so the ump will stop the scrutiny

Did they give up a game-ending grand slam last night to a rookie batter? OK, it could be worse.

Grant Balfour executed the meltdown perfectly last night for the Rays. So glad to have him back. :(

Phil Coke. 'nuff said. Gets no worse.

Tigers have used two relievers so far today - ERA's:

and climbing...

On a positive note, Jose Ortega with the 27.0 ERA hasn't given up a hit yet. Imagine if they start to hit him. In fairness though he was in Ohio this morning when he got the call up and arrived at 11:00AM. 3 hours later he was rushed into the game and had to warmup on the mound because of a injury to Sanchez. A hell of a way to start your day.

On a positive note, Jose Ortega with the 27.0 ERA hasn't given up a hit yet. Imagine if they start to hit him. In fairness though he was in Ohio this morning when he got the call up and arrived at 11:00AM. 3 hours later he was rushed into the game and had to warmup on the mound because of a injury to Sanchez. A hell of a way to start your day.

Haha...true. But you walk a few fellas with Coke following you to the mound, you're going to have some earned runs to your name. Coke, with that crappy outing, didn't have any runs charged against him.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

Interesting battle between Trout and Tulo for the best player in April. Even though WAR disagrees with me, I give it io Tulu because his numbers are more solid. Trout's asinine .420 BABIP isn't as sustainable as Tulo's .357 in Coors.

Who in the AL needs a DH? I don't think Tory Hunter can play RF anymore and there is no other room on the Tigers for him. It would be best if someone would take him as a DH. Tigers can cover RF. Tory would be an excellent DH for someone.

Mariners need a bat boy

I Hope that's not a response to my post on Torii Hunter

Separate response on Baseball in general. My wife as I've mentioned before is a bigger fan than me. However she is stuck on Tigers only, where I like to cover the entire league. I was outside when Billy Butler hit a HR against the Tigers. She hates when someone scores against the Tigers, I was happy for Butler (we share a birthday) and hoped it would get Porcello head in the game. Sure enough he retired the next 12.

I'll have to admit that I've been impressed with both Miami, and Houston the last couple days. Good games. Fun to watch. I'm not going to relax watching Houston this week vs the Tigers....it ain't over till it's over.

Looking forward to seeing the first guy to steal 2nd and 3rd in one move while the defense is shifting over to the right side of the infield. I think Billy Hamilton can do it if they ever pull a shift on Votto.

Teams soften the shift with a runner on first traditionally for that reason.

With someone who can really run it gets even softer. The softening is a reason why guys like Ryan Howard and Brian McCann traditionally hit better with runners on than bases empty.

Teams soften the shift with a runner on first traditionally for that reason.

With someone who can really run it gets even softer. The softening is a reason why guys like Ryan Howard and Brian McCann traditionally hit better with runners on than bases empty.

I don't know what tradition you speak of. This is the new era of baseball. Pulling the 3rd baseman to cover the right side means the base is empty. The pitcher would have to keep his cool and rather than try for the out at second he would run to 3rd to tag out the runner.

I had an epiphany moment and need to post in case I guess right. Tigers couldn't sign Max Scherzer, I hear he had an insurance policy and protects against him signing for less than 6 years 144 million. I'm guessing the policy cost 10 mil. I know Scherzer wants to go west coast. So the Tigers need to go to 6 years 180 Mil. to get him to sign. They can't afford that so my thought is to trade Verlander for whatever they can get and maybe pay someone 20 mil to take over the Verlander contract or 30 mil like the Fielder contract. That way the tigers would have Scherzer for the next 6 years and lose Verlander instead. Scherzer would be the Ace and that would make him happy being on a contending team.

I don't know what tradition you speak of. This is the new era of baseball. Pulling the 3rd baseman to cover the right side means the base is empty. The pitcher would have to keep his cool and rather than try for the out at second he would run to 3rd to tag out the runner.

I am just not seeing this scenario play out. Are you talking a delayed steal after reaching second safely? The pitcher should be headed towards 3rd on throw down to second, no way someone runs from 2nd to 3rd faster than mound to 3rd, especially when they are already shaded to third.

I am just not seeing this scenario play out. Are you talking a delayed steal after reaching second safely? The pitcher should be headed towards 3rd on throw down to second, no way someone runs from 2nd to 3rd faster than mound to 3rd, especially when they are already shaded to third.

No delay, leave 1st with the intention of going to 3rd. From the mound it's 63 feet to third. A fast player can cover the 90 feet from 2nd to 3rd in 3 seconds. If the pitcher delayed his start to 3rd for a second or so. I think the runner could win.

Back