Really roasty, will it mellow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Here is my grain bill for my stout... it is really roasty flavored (2 weeks in the primary, JUST racked to the secondary) I know that these dark, bitter and higher alc. beers need plenty of time to condition, will this roastyness mellow too? OG was 1.062... FG was 1.019. 5.6% ABV

Brewer: Brewpilot
Beer: Oatmeal Choco Stout
Style: Oatmeal Stout
Type: All grain Size: 5.25 gallons
Color: 129 HCU (~42 SRM)
Bitterness: 29 IBU
OG: 1.062 FG: 1.017
Alcohol: 5.8% v/v (4.5% w/w)
Grain:
7 lb. Maris Otter
2 lb. American 6-row
1 lb. Flaked oats
1 lb. American chocolate
8 oz. American crystal 120L
8 oz. Roasted barley
Mash: 77% efficiency
30 minute mash at 122F
60 minute mash at 153F
15 minute mash out at 168F
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.052 6.25 gallons
Irish moss @ 15 min
Hops: .75 oz. Chinook (11% AA, 60 min.)

The Pol

Oh yes, it has... been in the clearing tank for 2 months and it is SO GOOD... higher alc than anything I have brewed before and so dark and choco-coffee tasting... it is alot better a cpl months down the road. Maybe I should bottle it? LOL

Pol

Sounds like it is about ready. :mug:
The one thing I have learned is to not judge a beer until it has aged and conditioned properly. I'm always surprised by how a home brewed beer changes and mellows over time.

I agree. I tasted a Stout out of the secondsary that was just...wierd. Two months in the keg and I'm pissed I didn't wait. One of the best beers I've done thus far. Oh well, I'll just brew more. :mug:

This has been in the bottles now for 2 weeks, it was aging for about 2 months... it is SOOO smooth! It is like black velvet running down your throat. It is really worth the wait. Buy yourself another carboy and while one batch is being bottled, brew your next... you will never be sorry!

Pol

Back